1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lokar Shifter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 01:21 PM
tlb
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lokar Shifter Installation

Started installing new shifter in my truck today. It's all mounted to transmission. Linkage and neutral safety switch is not installed yet. That will be a job for this saturday. With a little pre planning and some minor modification to the rear mounting bracket it wasn't a hard job. Had to do some grinding to the inside radius of the rear bracket to clear top of transmission. If any one else is going to use the same shifter on a C4 automatic i would suggest the first thing you do is grind off about a 1/16" off inside radius. I didn't do that first and had to make trip to my nephews to use his grinder.(next tool i will buy) There are still some parts in the bag i don't know what they are for. Directions don't say where the go. Something to go in the parts bin for other projects. I used the 23" lg. shifter with single bend. Looks really good. It looks almost llike the original shifter except it's chrome plated. I also mounted shifter as far rearward on main mounting plate as possible. The rear two bolts share the same mounting holes that bolt the main plate to the rear plate. This way it does not hit dash when in park. The only other thing i would recommend for a basic stock installation would be to get the anodized black **** instead of the brushed aluminum. It would look more original although it still looks pretty darn good. I will post some pictures when finished with any more word of advice i may think of. I hope this is some help to somebody doing a similar install. BTW i never did hear any thing back from Lokar tech support on a couple of questions i had.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:43 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Re: Lokar Shifter Installation

Originally posted by tlb
Started installing new shifter in my truck today. It's all mounted to transmission. Linkage and neutral safety switch is not installed yet. That will be a job for this saturday. With a little pre planning and some minor modification to the rear mounting bracket it wasn't a hard job. Had to do some grinding to the inside radius of the rear bracket to clear top of transmission. If any one else is going to use the same shifter on a C4 automatic i would suggest the first thing you do is grind off about a 1/16" off inside radius. I didn't do that first and had to make trip to my nephews to use his grinder.(next tool i will buy) There are still some parts in the bag i don't know what they are for. Directions don't say where the go. Something to go in the parts bin for other projects. I used the 23" lg. shifter with single bend. Looks really good. It looks almost llike the original shifter except it's chrome plated. I also mounted shifter as far rearward on main mounting plate as possible. The rear two bolts share the same mounting holes that bolt the main plate to the rear plate. This way it does not hit dash when in park. The only other thing i would recommend for a basic stock installation would be to get the anodized black **** instead of the brushed aluminum. It would look more original although it still looks pretty darn good. I will post some pictures when finished with any more word of advice i may think of. I hope this is some help to somebody doing a similar install. BTW i never did hear any thing back from Lokar tech support on a couple of questions i had.

I have installed the lokar shifter on my 50 f1 with the 700r4 transmission it is the 23in nastalgic one but the **** is black plastic not anodized black aluminum. went in easy but I redesigned a jog in the shift linkage and it works much smoother. The directions were near impossible to decipher from the poor copying. I still have on my list to set up the neutral safety b4 i started in in gear and destroy the whole truck. Ed ke6bnl

Old 03-09-2004, 04:52 PM
jwcnj45
Senior User
Just did the Lokar install on my C4 trans last week. Everything went pretty easy for me and I did not have to modify anything for it to fit. Mine is also mounted rearward and shares the same location with the rear bracket. I used a 16"shifter with the tapered aluminum ****. Looks good and works good.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:36 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
You'd think for what they charge for those shifters that they would include a readable installation sheet.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:51 PM
tlb
Elder User

I did send lokar's tech support an e-mail and told them how poor quality the instructions were. Probably why they never got back to me with answers to a couple of questions i had.

Old 03-10-2004, 02:20 AM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally posted by tlb
I did send lokar's tech support an e-mail and told them how poor quality the instructions were. Probably why they never got back to me with answers to a couple of questions i had.
I also left a message on the phone and never recieved a call back or a better copy of the instructions. Not sending a good message for going back for other parts. I have seen some adds lately for the exact copy of out lokar 23 in by B&M mount is even the same. Ed ke6bnl