Detecting ping

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 07:18 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Detecting ping

I have a 2000 Lincoln Navigator with the 5.4l 32V Intech motor. On top, I have a Kenne Bell SC pushing 9 psi. What I’m curious about finding out is a definitive way to determine if I am suffering from ‘ping’.

I’ve had a bevy of high performance vehicles during my life so I’m well aware of what it sounds like and I believe I hear a faint pinging at time when I drive. I only think I’m hearing ping between 0-5 inches of VACUUM. The vehicle is tuned well and dead nuts stable under boost. It’s just in that area of low vacuum, just below boost where I think I’m hearing it. It’s not continuous; just tick, tick, tick, now and then. Of course, if I let off or if I tip into the boost I think it goes away.

So what if any definitive measures can I employ to determine if I am encountering pre-ignition? As I understand it, the knock sensor is disabled on my application. My scan tool, AutoTap shows a knock retard data item, but it doesn’t seem active (I see no values). I’ve watched the spark advance when operating in said range and I’ve got a decent amount of advance 7-10 degrees. Of course this drops off to –4 or so as soon as I get in the boost.

What does the board wisdom sayeth?

Old 03-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Looks like you might have a "tip-in" retard problem. You may need to pull another degree or two of timing at that point.