Sponsored by:

Oil Leak Rear Main Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 06:30 PM
funtastic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak Rear Main Question

It looks like I have an oil leak at the rear main. What should I expect to pay to have this replaced and what exactly has to be done. Engine has only 82,000 miles so I don't think it's anything other than the mail seal.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:39 PM
sinjin90
Freshman User
will be a big job they will have to raise motor up a bit im sure to get the pan off. Not sure if anything else to do major.
Around 200 or more most likley.
KC 89 Bronco 302

Old 03-02-2004, 06:11 PM
BOJOFASO
Elder User
actually the rear main seal is a ton of work. the trans has to come out because you have a one piece seal. i got a price of 600 and parts. more than likely it is not your rear main but it probably is the oil pan gasket. clean it up real good and get into the investigation and make absolutely sure where the leak is. i also thought i had a rear main seal leak and upon a real good investigation i saw it was the oil pan gasket. this is also a big job but i did it myself in 6 hours and saved the 350 dollars labor.
the oil pan gasket usually starts leaking in the rear and you would not be the only one fooled. a good cleaning and investigation will help you find the leak but i doubt it is the rear main.