1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 03:52 PM
RangerSTX_91
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission

I have a 1991 Ranger STX 2.9 4 wheel drive and i also have a 1987 ford bronco II 2.9 4 wheel drive and was wondering if any one could tell me if i can take the transmission outta my bronco and put it in my ranger. i know i would have to change my shift linkage and maybe have to use the transfercase but will there be any other problems that i may run in to???

Old 02-27-2004, 07:52 PM
wish it ran
New User
there are 2 different trans. for those trucks,10 bolt and 12 bolt pans. the pan is on the bottom of the trans. count the bolts ,if they match it should work.

Old 02-29-2004, 07:06 AM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
there are 2 different trans. for those trucks,10 bolt and 12 bolt pans. the pan is on the bottom of the trans. count the bolts ,if they match it should work.
I am assuming we are talking about 5sp:

No. If he has the "Mazda" trans in the Bronco II there will be no pan on the bottom. Well, it isn't much of a pan if you are referring to the plate on the bottom of the Mitsubishi trans. It is true, there are only two trans used in these model years, Mazda & Mitsubishi. Check the stickers on the sides of the trans. I think mine was on the driver's side, (it may be different on the Mitsu). According to the Haynes:

Mazda = "E87A" in big letters
Mitsubishi = "FM146"

The Bronco IIs and Rangers from 83' to 92' are covered in the same Haynes manual, so they are more or less the same trucks.

If you want to continue to use either of these transmissions, do yourself a favor and replace the plugs at the top near the back. For more info on what happens when you don't:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...52BG2IC_Wraith
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...52BG2IC_Wraith

Old 03-01-2004, 08:21 PM
trxus
Freshman User
transfer cases should bolt to either trans, just make sure it has the same tail housing if you swap trans to keep the overall length between motor and t/case the same