EFI 460 Injector help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Coogles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI 460 Injector help

I need someone with good knowlege of the 460.

I bought an MSD billet distributor for my 460 because I was told it would work. I gave the guy the year and he said it would work.

I found out the 460 has a special distributor system called TFI 4, were it advances with an electronic selenoid instead of centrifugal or vaccume.

However Im not sure what the engine goes by for Injector timing. Does it run off the crank sensor or distributor?

Im building a new 460 from the ground up and replacing the 351 I had. The 351 doesnt seem to have a crank sensor, so Im wondering if the 460 does? How would I install it?

Old 02-25-2004, 10:46 PM
built4wheelin
Junior User
the efi 460 uses the normal ford EEC-IV setup
it uses a hall effect (magnetic pickup) switch inside the distributor for ignition timing and a reference for pulsing the injectors. this pickup works in conjunction with the TFI module and the ECU to electronically control the ignition timing. it is not mechanically changed by a solenoid, as you suggest.
if you put in an aftermarket distributor, it MUST be for an EFI controlled engine. depending on the year it may or may not have a TFI module bolted to the side of it.
just make sure the new one has the same plug-ins on it as your original.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Coogles
Senior User
The only one I could find out of accel, msd, mallory, and some others is only for a 351w. I never had a 460 so I dont know yet how its supposed to plug in. The 351w distributor I have has 6 wire plug going into it. The ony I ordered from MSD I ordered for a 95 460. They gave me just a simple distributor with 2 wires coming out of it.

ive been searching the internet ALLLLL DAY and posting on several forums. It seems that there does not exist any sort of aftermarket distributor whatsoever for a 460 EFI, which ****es me off because they are very common motors.

What am I missing?

Old 02-26-2004, 02:08 AM
Fryzil
Senior User
Hey Coogles, did you find youre intake? Just curious.
Fry

Old 02-26-2004, 06:42 AM
built4wheelin
Junior User
the '95 460 distributor does have the correct pick-up in it, but it uses a fender mounted TFI (ignition) module. this is fine if your wiring harness is set up for that.
your '88 would have the TFI mounted on the side of the distributor.
it all works the same- it just depends on what style wiring harness you are using.
let us know what harness you are using, and what year the 460 is out of.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Coogles
Senior User
its a 95 460, not an 88. MSD, Accel, nor Holly sell TFI distributors for a 460. Is that because they are just dumb? OR is it because I dont need one? I ordered an MSD billet distributor for a "95 ford f-250 7.5L" and they sent me a distributor with only 2 wires coming out of it. The directions say to connect it to an MSD ignition box. OK did the sales person fk with me?

Old 02-26-2004, 09:02 PM
doctorq
Freshman User
I'm not sure which distributor you were sold, but you need something along the lines of what's shown on this link:

http://www.msdignition.com/dist_16.htm

Having said that, I don't see any MSD distributor specifically stated as compatible with late model Ford 460 EFI engines. .

I have a feeling whoever sold you the distributor didn't understand your application (nice way to say it. . .)