Low idling oil pressure and rattling lifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 04:54 PM
debestuss
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low idling oil pressure and rattling lifters

I was in another thread but feel bad because I'm mooching off of someone else's problem. Yeah, I have a heart.
Anyway, I just rebuilt my 390. I have low oil pressure at idle but good (at least the light isn't on) at rpm. My lifters constantly clatter. I'm using 10W30 oil. The lifters, oil pump, and all the gaskets, obviously, are new. Any words of wisdom?

Old 02-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It is very possible that your lifters were built with a little more clearance and require a little more pressure to work properly. It is also possible for them to have a little trash in them from the rebuild. You might run a bottle of marvel mystery oil for about 100 miles or add a quart of diesel and let it idle for 15 minutes and then change the oil. This helps clean them out.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:18 PM
debestuss
Elder User
If it's the pressure, how can I adjust that?

Old 02-24-2004, 08:11 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get a high volume oil pump. This will raise your pressure at idle.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Make sure you get an ARP driveshaft if you choose to go that route. The best thing do do would be check your bearings. When an engine wears out and bearing clearances get real wide you will loose pressure at idle as the oil has much less resistance.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:53 PM
debestuss
Elder User
I just rebuilt the engine. Everything is new, even the crank so the bearings are as tight as they will ever be. I checked the kit that I bought for the engine and I didn't get a high volume oil pump with it. With everything new, that could definately be it, huh?

Old 02-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
It could be. I forgot you just had it rebuilt. Did you change the cam bearings? This is another possible point of failure. While I recommend a HV oil pump for most FEs, the standard pump should not leave you hurting for oil at idle to the point your lifters are rattling. I would get a guage and see exactly what your pressure is. If you have decent pressure and your lifters are still rattling then you have a bad batch of lifters. 5psi is usually where I see lifters start talking in most engines.

Also what filter are you running? If its orange throw it in the trash and apologize to your engine. Hopefully it will forgive you! I have seen so many people get rid of lifter noises by getting rid of the Fram that its not even funny.

When I worked at the lube rack part time we used Wix filters. Most other people used frams. People have told me that they go to the place I worked becasue their cars sounded better in the mornings on startup. They had no idea why until I told them.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 PM
averagef250
Elder User
What 's your actual oil pressure at idle? The rattling may not be pressure related. I used the wrong length pushrods in a 390 by assuming they were standard length and made all kinds of valvetrain noise.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:15 PM
MudinMan19704x4
Senior User
so if you cant grab a wix what you suggest rat..?

Old 02-24-2004, 10:56 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NAPA's self-named filters are also made by Wix.

If you can't find either of those, grab a Purolator or Motorcraft - those are also identical to each other and work well.

I agree with not using the orange turds... my oil pressure went from 5 psi (idle) and 25 psi (2500 rpm) to 25-60 psi... just by switching to the Wix.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:54 AM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Napa and motorcraft work just great. You can get an FL1-A at walmart for a couple three bucks.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:15 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
When you rebuilt the bottom end, did you get standard or undersized bearings? Did you check the bearing clearance with Plastigage? If you have low pressure, you have good flow.. is one way of looking at it, 'cuz it is being pumped in but is flowing right out without building any pressure. Should get good mileage as there will be lowered pumping loss. You surely put a gasket between the pump and the bottom of the block, right?
Get a real gauge on it, and let the Wizards here know the facts..
If your engine is in decent shape, as in *just rebuilt*, it should care less about the color of the filter. FRAM may be looked down on for any number of reasons, but, they have been in business for 50 years that I remember, Purolator longer. Their filters must be at least better than toilet paper stuffed in a can or they would be out of business. My take: if the bearings etc are good, the filter should NOT cause noise, there is something else wrong. It may be best to go with another brand, but that should not cause chattering lifters.

tom

Last edited by tomw; 02-25-2004 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:36 AM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
purolater invented the oil filter in 1923. so they are the oldest oil filter company. you didnt say what psi you were running at hot idle? it may be oil pressure, i would take off the orange can of death, but its probably not the primary cause. how is the rest of the engine running? also you amy want to change the oil and put some real thick, like 20-40 or 20-50, just as an expierment to see if the noise goes away.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Putt
Posting Guru
With a recent rebuild, he should NOT have low oil pressure and clattering lifters, no matter what weight oil, filter, etc. he uses. Something is wrong!
That said I would start by checking actual pressure to see if it is lo and begin diagnosis from there.

Old 02-25-2004, 04:32 PM
debestuss
Elder User
Okay. Yes, there is a gasket between the motor block and the oil pump. The push rods are fine, they are the same ones that were in it. I noticed today that when I'm idling along in 3rd, I also get a oil light. If I remember correctly the oil pressure at idle was between 15 and 20 psi. I will double check that this weekend. I am going to change oil filters, I'm running a Fram. What the hell. I am also going to go to a heavier oil. What to you recommend? I'm thinking the 20-40 or 20-50.

Quick Reply: Low idling oil pressure and rattling lifters