1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

tire wear/front end question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:51 PM
sidala
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tire wear/front end question

i have a 92 e150 conversion van. I recently noticed the right front tire is wearing out on the outside really bad. van is also pulling to right. I was wondering what can be causing this so i can correct it before i get new tires. the only thing i noticed is the tie rod ends around the boots do leak out grease when i tried to grease them and the middle bar that runs accross where the tie rod ends screw into in the middle has a grease fitting i notices it is gunked up with grease (maybe). any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mike

Old 02-24-2004, 07:53 AM
86rustbucket
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My suggestion would be 1) check the tire pressure 2) to take it to a shop and have the alignment checked.

Could be a couple of things. Possibly too much positive camber (when the top of the tire leans out) usually these vans (twin I-Beams) go through a lot of camber change as the suspension articulates through its range of motion, but usually it is negative (when the bottom of the tire leans out) because the suspension usually compresses rather than extends. This suspension motion usually causes accelerated wear on the inside of the tire.

I'm not sure if the grease leakage problems are pointing to something or not. If the tie rod ends are the cause, I would expect them to be loose. Try to yank on them to see if they are sloppy or if there is any excessive free play.

The other alignment issue that may cause this related to the steering is a toe in condition (where the right front tire is turned slightly to the left \ ) which will cause the outside shoulder of the tire to wear faster as the vehicle tracks straight.

My suggestion is to take it to an alignment shop or a dealer. Tire wear problems (other than those that can be fixed with a good tire pressure gage) are usually best left to the professional. Just my 2 cents...

Good Luck