1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camper Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 03:45 PM
4x4ord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camper Wiring

I have a '02 SD 4x4 with the trailer tow package. I am planning on putting a camper on this truck, and am trying to figure out the best way to wire it. Is there a factory port that allows a pigtail to be plugged in like the older trucks? I have found a port in the harness between the cab and the box that looks like camper wiring, but I get no power at it. Is this the port? Is there something I need to do to activate this port? Several Ford dealers have told me that I have to cut into the harness, but I really don't want to do this. Does cutting the harness create any warrenty issues?? What have you guys done??

Thanks

Roger

Old 01-20-2002, 05:16 PM
Edmo
Senior User
Camper Wiring

>I have a '02 SD 4x4 with the trailer tow package. I am
>planning on putting a camper on this truck, and am trying to
>figure out the best way to wire it.

Rog,

When you say "camper on this truck" I assume you mean a slide-in rig.

I saw one guy with a slide-in camper who made up a 7 pin cable which plugged into his truck's 7 pin plug and ran under the bed up through one of the rubber grommet holes in the front of the bed. He could then plug in his slide-in to provide brake/turn/running lights and charge his battery.

He used heavy duty wire so there would be no chaffing, The cable was tie-strapped in so it was a clean installation, however it was a snap to remove.

If you are having problems getting power to your 7 pin, the truck should have come with a pigtail connector, 2 fuses, and 2 relays. These are easy to install with the supplied instructions and will make your 7 pin hot.

Edmo

Old 01-20-2002, 06:09 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
Camper Wiring

4x4ord
Mine was done by my camper dealer and he did splice under the hood into the wiring harness. They've been doing it for 25 years, so if they could do it easier, I'm sure they would. I'm not sure I'd want a long pigtail going back to the rear bumper. That's a lot of wire (resistance) and possible damage if your camper slips on the bed, cutting the wires. It is also very convenient to have the female adapter mounted on the front left side of the truck bed and be able to plug the camper in there while loading it.
Good Luck

Old 01-20-2002, 06:55 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Camper Wiring

Old 01-20-2002, 07:17 PM
4x4ord
New User
Camper Wiring

Yes, the camper is a slide in. It's an 8'10" Adventurer. I have the trailer tow package, so the plug in at the rear of the truck is hot. But I have to use that for towing my boat while I have the camper on. Does anyone know what that port into the harness is between the cab and bed?? It has red, green, yellow/stripe, and brown wires going into, but I can't get power from any of them. I've looked at trucks on the lot that have the camper package, and can't find that port. The port on my truck is factory, I took delivery of the truck a few months ago. Is there something I can do to activate this extra port? If so what? Does anyone else have the same thing??

Thanks

Roger

P.S. my truck also has the snow plow package, as well as the trailer tow package. It does NOT have the camper package.

Old 01-21-2002, 07:29 AM
SMOTU
Junior User
Camper Wiring

You should be able to get the camper package wiring from your dealer's parts department since you didn't get the camper package itself. I understand that on more recent '02 models that there is a connection somewhere between the bed and the cab that you can tap into with a "T" connection. The camper wiring package should come with the relays and fuses to make the wiring hot. At this point it may be cheaper to have an RV repair place do it for you. I had mine done and have a real slick set up with the 7 way Bargman plug located on the inside wall of the bed. Total cost was around $100. It is out of the way but convenient for either my camper or 5th wheel when each is used. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2002, 12:59 PM
harald
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Camper Wiring

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Jan-02 AT 02:01 PM (EST)]I put a 7 way plug inside the bed of my 2000 F350 truck to plug in my
slide-in camper. I bought a Bargman 7 way plug with attached 8 feet of RV
wiring from www.rvshop.com . By drilling a hole in the inner bed using a metal hole saw you can run
the wiring down to the left frame rail, where you can tap into the trucks
harness. I used the 3M inline splices to tap into the harness. I've heard
that some new trucks have a disconnect near the bumper mounted 7way plug.
Just follow the wire bundle forward until you get to a disconnect. Then if
you can get a "T" connector, you be able to hook up without tapping into the factory
harness.
You can see how to wire up a 7 way plug at this web site:
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm. I have a picture of my install at:
http://communities.msn.com/TheStengerFamily/superduty.msnw .

The battery charge and reverse light circuits are not hot unless the relay and fuse are installed under the hood. My 2000 came with the parts in a bag with installation instructions. Also, the battery charge line only works when the key is turned on (to stop the camper from draining your truck battery).

Harald

2000 F350 4x4 CC DRW V10 4.30ls Lariat LWB.
Firestone Ride-rite airbags, Rancho RS9000 shocks and Torklift Superhitch.
1998 Alpenlite Pendelton 11'10" camper held on by Torklift tie downs.