Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 12:44 AM
BrandonR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble

This is my first post. I am having some troubles with my truck, and figured this would be the place to come for some help. Aside from that I need to learn how to take care of a vehicle myself.

So heres the story:

Im having trouble with my ignition switch...so I think. Its actually rather "moody" Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesnt. Maybe a short in the steering column? Dont know how to assess the problem.

Also, when going into 3rd gear (auto) the truck begins to shake. I added some fuel injector cleaner to my gas tank, and it calmed the shaking down. It still shakes but not nearly as....violent. Should I add more? I was wondering if its "missing" the gear and if there is something up with the transmission.

I dont know alot about trucks, so the information provided here may come off as vague. But I can field any questions to help this along.

20years old and ALL I can do is change air filter, oil and tires. Sad isnt it. haha.

My truck is:
1989 F-150 XLT Lariat. Auto. Fuel injection.

Old 02-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Egor
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people here have had trouble with torque converter shudder. Sometimes fixed with tranny oil change and adding some friction modifier.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:29 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hiya BrandonR, welcome to the boards.
You are going to know a lot more about your truck soon . It will help a lot if you get a Chilton's repair & tune-up book. The following suggestions are a blunt weapon, until you get good at troubleshooting or have a knowledgable friend over to check it out.

Ignition Switch- Replace it, they all break sooner or later.
3rd Gear Shakes- Yes, add injector cleaner occasionally per directions, it won't hurt if ya' overdo it some. You didn't say how many miles on your truck, but the Xmsn ought to be maintained at 60k or 70k miles by:
Dropping the Xmsn pan, drain the fluid, clean out the pan w/ gas. It is Messy.
Clean or replace the filter attached to the Xmsn valve body.
Refill with correct Xmsn fluid (listed in owners manual or parts store. It will be either Type F or Mercon II).

Have Fun in Your Ford, they're good trucks

Old 02-20-2004, 09:49 AM
AllFords1022
Senior User
normally i dont like to adding any type of additive to anything,especially a transmission, however i had a similar problem with my truck, i to have an automatic and it was shuddering shifting to overdrive.i bought a quart of "lucas" transmission treatment and added it to the tranny, after a tranny tune up and filter change i added this stuff and the tranny was shifting much better in all gears..i would definitly recommend this stuff to anyone cause it works !and yes the shuddering stoped completly ! try it ..... it does work !

Old 02-20-2004, 01:54 PM
BrandonR
New User
Wow, I knew joining this site was a good idea.

Thnx alot...Im sure Ill be back with more questions.

Now, Im off to either break something horribly or fix it. We'll see what happens.

Old 02-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Van/TX
Junior User
Now, Im off to either break something horribly or fix it. We'll see what happens.
That's the way I learned what little I know Good luck....Van

Old 02-29-2004, 12:07 PM
chrisbeery
Senior User
BTW, Ford recalled all models that year (and others) for an ignition switch (not the actual keyturn portion, but a module in the steering column or under the dash). The recall was for fire danger.