Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 09:40 AM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynamat?

Has anyone installed dynamat in there trucks? My 95 makes alot of noise going down the highway, road noise, vibrations, wind, etc. I was thinking about installed dynamat on the entire cab of my truck. Its would be expensive and time consuming. Would it be worth it?

Old 02-17-2004, 04:47 PM
gcduece
Junior User
I installed some tractor cab insulation around the firewall where the brake pedal meets the firewall under the carpet and lowered the sound inside the cab 8db. I have been thinking of trying dynamat on the floor under the carpet and the spray in stuff inside the doors but have found other ways to spend the money so far. duece

Old 02-17-2004, 05:53 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am interested in others' opinion of this as well. I saw somewhere that there's another product that is less expensive than Dynamat - was even smart enough (for once ) to save their website: http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

Old 02-17-2004, 06:06 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I am going to go with the B-Quiet material this spring. I have the CC and it will take approx 140 sq. ft. you can pick it up off ebay in the 70 sq. ft rolls for 134 right now. I was thinking about getting three rolls, so I could double the insulation up front around the fire wall. From everything that I have researced the Brown Bread is the better stuff for the money. Has the highest attenuation factor at ambient temperatures.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:24 PM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
Check this stuff out, even cheaper than be quiet. www.fatmat.com

Duece, that the same reason why my cab isnt insulated yet..

Old 02-17-2004, 10:28 PM
yellow73bb
Senior User
I have a friend who does high $$ competition sound systems for cars. I figured he would know what worked best. He suggested some high end stuff ($5/sq ft.). I gave him a glazed eye look and finally he said go get a product called Ice and Water from a roofing supply place. He used to use it all the time in cars he did for other people, and actually made quite a profit selling it to people who did their own cars. It costs around $80 for 225 sq ft. I bought a roll, and plan to install it plus some insulation I'm getting at Lowe's, plus new carpet as soon as I can get a couple days in a row to work on it. He also suggested pulling off the hood isulation and putting this stuff on the metal there too.

This stuff works by dampening the vibrations of the metal. I'm putting it all around the back of the cab, on the floor, on the interior surface of the doors (he said don't bother putting it on the outer skin of the door -- not enough benefit), on the fire wall, maybe under the hood, on the pillars between front and back doors, etc. I'm even thinking about maybe pulling the headliner and putting it up there too.

Hopefully, this will deaden not only the engine noise, but the road noise too.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:30 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a 95 bronco with a cat back dual exhaust and 32/11.50-15 bfg m/t's. it was loud so i coated the whole back section of the truck in dynamat deluxe(floor, sides , roof, and double thick on the wheelwells). it was still just as loud. it did not seem to be worth all the money and time i put into it , but thats just me

Old 02-18-2004, 08:56 AM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
Ive heard of people using ice and water dam in the trucks for insulation. They also put a layer of carpet padding on top of the dam. I was thinking of doing this to my truck, I already have 3 or 4 rolls of the stuff in my basement. I just dont want to spend all kinds of time dismantling my interior for nothing.
A word of advice, the adhesive on the ice and water will get all over everything if you arent careful. It will take lots of paint thinner and elbow grease to get it off.

Old 02-18-2004, 06:10 PM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
Well, ive decided. This weekend I will sound proof the cab of my truck. Im going to use expanding foam, dynamat spray, and ice and water dam. Im going to do every inch of the crewcab. I'll let you know how it went and how much of a difference it made when I finish.

Old 02-19-2004, 03:45 PM
yellow73bb
Senior User
I just drove around a bit with a sound level meter (radio shack) in the truck. I held it just above the center console with the microphone pointing forward. At idle, it registers about 74db. Accelerating from a stop it goes up to around 88-90 db. Cruising at 45, it sits at about 88-90db. It looks like most of what it picks up is road noise at 45 MPH, because it doesn't change more than 1-2db when I lift my foot off the pedal. It will be interesting to see what sound deadening and carpet do.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:24 PM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
Hey Yellow73bb, how much did that sound meter cost you. I started putting the ice and water on my doors today. Id like something to compare to when im completly done.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:41 PM
yellow73bb
Senior User
I borrowed it from work. They are around $50 (sound meter ) They have two settings, and I was probably measuring using the wrong setting. I was using the setting for music instead of for noise. Using the setting for noise, the idle loudness is around 59db and the maximum loudness I measured was around 80 db.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:04 AM
yellow73bb
Senior User
I put in the ice and water stuff today, plus a layer of insulation on top of that. Unfortunately, the carpet was for the wrong vehicle so I have to send it back. I'm not sure I used the best insulation, I got it form Lowes, and it is like bubble wrap with foil on both sides. I was hoping it was more like the stuff they put under carpet. I haven't done the doors yet, but it didn't get much quieter. Maybe 1db at idle, and 2-3db at cruise. Doing the doors should help reduce road noise I hope. Then maybe the hood and the roof of the cab maybe.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:23 AM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
I did all four door with the ice and water two days ago. I did both the door itself and the back side of the panel. I used a torch to activate the adhesive. It made a huge difference. You'll be happy once you do the doors.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:44 AM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
I also filled the bottom four inches or so of the doors with expanding foam.

Quick Reply: Dynamat?