Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Newbie Here

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 04:37 PM
TN Hillbilly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Here

Been trying to get on for awhile. Bought a 2002 F-250 4x4 Lariet SuperCab, LongBed, 7.3 PowerStroke Sonic Blue about a month ago.

I love this truck!

Been reading up on mods. Want to get gauges first, thinking preturbo egt, turbo pressure and not sure what else would be the most useful? Then airflow and hopefully 4" exhaust and topping off with a chip.

Got a pic up, this is a bueatiful truck!

Want to thank everyone for helping me decide on the diesel.

Last edited by TN Hillbilly; 02-13-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:21 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
hey tn hillbilly ....welcome aboard.. the guys are great at being able to answer ANYTHING.

Old 02-13-2004, 06:38 PM
horsecop
Senior User
Welcome to the site. I'll give you the same advise to all new comers. No Cus'in, Spit'in, or Bite'in! Sounds like you've done your homework on the future mods. Gauges: Boost, Trans Temp, Pyro (Pre-Turbo). Best site for info. Welcome.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:01 PM
TN Hillbilly
Senior User
HorseCop,
Would I need the Trans Temp considering I have a gauge in my console cluster? Yeah, been reading and researching on this site for over a month. Wanted to make sure I was buying the right truck, not just impulsive wanting the biggest and loudest thing on the road, or at least a few more excuses than that.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:22 PM
horsecop
Senior User
If you tow, it would be best to know exactly what the temps are, but that's just me. Another suggestion, go to the top of the page, click on settings, then click on Edit Profile. In the signature box, put what year and model truck you have. Then anything else you'd like to add. This will help members answer questions you might have in the future, like installing the EGT probe for the pyro. Are you from Tennessee?

Old 02-13-2004, 09:54 PM
TN Hillbilly
Senior User

Think this got a pic up. First chance to tow something tommorrow, but only 50 bales of straw. Will be pulling a bobcat occassionally. I put in the sig also, see if it helps. I just want to make sure I get the right gauges. I saw some cobalt night ones on a different post, now those are sweet. Would look smooth on the A.

Do you like the Tymar? How much is the maintenance, i.e. changing the filter every 15k cost? It looked like a boss filter

Yes, grew up here south of Nashville, just moved back though after a 2 year stint in Southern Maryland. It is really good to be back home.

Last edited by TN Hillbilly; 02-13-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:37 PM
horsecop
Senior User
My truck runs alot better. I'd check with the guys that have the same year truck as yours. Yours has alot more stuff under the saddle than mine. I do know the motor will have alot more air than it get's now plus I haven't heard to many good things about the stock air box. I'd check with those guys to be sure. Post a new topic and see what they say. Oh, welcome home.

Last edited by horsecop; 02-13-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:44 PM
TN Hillbilly
Senior User
I read similiar stuff about the stock air boxes. I checked mine when I bought it and it was relatively clean, but not shiny. I have heard praise about the Tymar, it just looks like it would be expensive to change every 15.

I just saw that pic of my truck, one of the few times it looked clean. Right now it has mud and grim all over it from a job site. Will wash and polish tommorrow, to be nasty again Monday, a never ending battle.

Thanks, and I will throw up another post about the tymar, though I want to get gauges first in about a month or so. I read and believe that should be first.

Old 02-13-2004, 10:55 PM
horsecop
Senior User
Something to write down.
Tymar Performance
phone: 509-922-TRUK
Ask for Dale Isley (owner) He will be glad to answer any questions you have about the system.

Old 02-14-2004, 07:16 AM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru
Would I need the Trans Temp considering I have a gauge in my console cluster?

Get a real gauge, the one in the cluster is nothing more than an idiot light, worthless.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:20 PM
TN Hillbilly
Senior User
Powerstroker, I figured someone would say that. Not knocking you, but I had the same assumption. I was more concerned that with that would there be a more important gauge to put on the pillar. It would be better to have the exact temp instead of an guestimate.

Old 02-15-2004, 07:57 AM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru
If I had an automatic the gauges I would have would be: trans temp, pyro and boost.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Oneof6
Senior User
TN Hillbilly, The stock air box shouldn't be trusted. If the engine gets "dusted" Ford will throw it back on your lack of maintenance and weasel try to weasel out of the warranty. You can't tell by the box being clean. Pull the top off the end of the flex pipe. Take a flashlight and look up into the flex pipe between the box and turbo. Is there any grit in the oil at the CCV return? If there is any you have a box leak, common for the stock boxes. It is actually the lack of enough clips to seal the box and the poor seal made by the element itself. I have had a Tymar and now have the Ford AIS. Liked both, both seal it up. With the Tymar you will have more noise. With the AIS you will have less. With any of the filters you have surge, you just will be able to hear it more with the Tymar. If you are going to put a chip or tuner in the truck go with the Tymar. If you are going to let the truck remain largely stock HP wise then get the AIS. If you get the Tymar don't worry about the open element getting wet, it won't. My main concern was filtration and stock look. So I swapped the Tymar for an AIS, sold the Tymar to someone that likes it for his application. With the AIS my silicon count is 6 at 4K on the oil consistently. That brings up another recommendation. Get a regular oil analysis, I do mine every other oil change, about 8 to 10K miles. It is cheap (20 bucks) and will give you an idea about nternal engine condition.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:33 PM
TN Hillbilly
Senior User
Originally posted by Oneof6
TN Hillbilly, The stock air box shouldn't be trusted. I have had a Tymar and now have the Ford AIS. Liked both, both seal it up. With the Tymar you will have more noise. With the AIS you will have less. With any of the filters you have surge, you just will be able to hear it more with the Tymar. If you are going to put a chip or tuner in the truck go with the Tymar. If you are going to let the truck remain largely stock HP wise then get the AIS.
Mixed feelings about chip or not, how far am I going to mod this thing, how much money do I want to spend. Thought about checking into a tymar, just curious about changing cost. Gauges are a necessity. Then I am thinking exhaust and air filter. Then somedays I really wonder why I need anymore truck than what I already have, should just start saving for a harley

Old 02-16-2004, 04:07 PM
horsecop
Senior User
I agree with oneof6 on the air filter for your truck. I didn't have that set up but I did help a guy in my unit that did and it did show signs of leaking. Check around. There are some pretty good open air elements on the market. As far as the chip or programer is concerned, that depends on you. Since your up around Nashville, Western Diesel's home office is there. I have one of their chips in and it's for a little more power when pulling that truck killer, (horse trailer), I have. It's not even a factor unless I put the spurs to her. You have the right order down as far as Mods are concerned. Gauges will be fun. By the time you get over that, you'll want to go to something else. Intake then Exaust. Remember your ride is part of your personality.

Last edited by horsecop; 02-16-2004 at 04:10 PM.