Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 F350 Ignition Switch - need help????

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 01:09 PM
run26s
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 88 F350 Ignition Switch - need help????

Ok...Here's the problem....
The tip of my ignition switch lock cylinder broke off in the steering column so of course I pulled off the steering wheel and replaced with a new ignition lock cylinder (tumbler)....now it was working just fine then all of a sudden when you try to turn the ignition, the lights come on everything appears to be fine but, nothing happens.....it's almost as if there isn't a "spark" to start the engine. It does have a new battery and it has nothing to do with the starter.....then ironically a few minutes later if you try to turn it on again it just starts right up without a problem as if nothing happens......i am truly perplexed.....

i am looking for any help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2004, 03:08 PM
coplin
Senior User
Sounds like an alignment problem. You have to follow a certain install procedure to get the new lock cylinder to work right. Check a manual. Sometimes the steering column gets loose and worn then slips out of alignment making it an intermittent problem. Or sometimes its not fully in park. Unless you have a stick. Also the Neutral/Park/Backup switch could be the culprit on an auto. Clutch engagement safety switch on a standard.

Last edited by coplin; 02-11-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:35 PM
run26s
New User
let me give that a try....thanks for the post....i am at about my wits end on this...

Old 02-12-2004, 01:30 AM
coplin
Senior User
I had an Olds Cutlass that did what you describe. Next time it does the "no start" thing to you. Grab the the plastic housing that surrounds the steering column behind the steering wheel.Grasp the column and turn it counterclockwise until it stops, then turn the key and see if it now starts.

Old 02-14-2004, 10:45 PM
freewilly
Freshman User
There is an ajustment on the actuating rod that mates with the starter block on the steering column.If you correctly installed the ignition tumbler,lower the steering colunm and move the starter block closer to the actuating rod.You may have got the tumbler a tooth off and now it just barely grabs the section it needs to contact the starter. You wont have any trouble seeing the rod i'm talking about if you lower the steering column,it sits right on top of the column.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:55 AM
RonInFla
New User
Does the motor turnover but not run ? Or does it not turn over at all ?
You may also be looking at an unrelated issue , such as an electrical or ignition system problem.

Old 02-16-2004, 08:10 PM
montangrunt
Junior User
you also might try checking the allignment of the ignition linkage, which hooks into your ignition switch. You might have nudged it out of position. Just drop your steering column and take off your ignition switch and put it back in the right position. I had the same problem months ago and this is all it was