1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1996 Ford Ranger - OBD Code P1445

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:55 PM
stupid red ranger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That may well work, but I would just be leery of creating a vaccume leak with splicing lines etc. Even a small leak near a sensor can cause a code. Before I buy any parts for my truck, I check with both Ford and Mazda. I have found that the prices for the same part have been wildly different at both places. Sometimes cheaper at Ford, other times at Mazda, and sometimes different kits with more components than the other offers.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:27 AM
nocode
New User
good advice. do you have any idea what that vac line is called (from the sensor to the manifold)? want to make sure i'm asking for the right part.

thanks.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:10 AM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the dealer also told me that the preformed line wasn't available. sold me a length of regular vac line. replaced the line, the purge valve and the solenoid. no codes since.
in retrospect i would have changed out the purge valve first (cheaper of the two!) and see if the code went away...

Old 10-07-2007, 11:40 AM
nocode
New User
Originally Posted by 97ranger xlt
the dealer also told me that the preformed line wasn't available. sold me a length of regular vac line. replaced the line, the purge valve and the solenoid. no codes since.
in retrospect i would have changed out the purge valve first (cheaper of the two!) and see if the code went away...
Well I have changed the purge valve and the hose from the canister to the valve ($25 piece of 8" rubber!) and the hose connecting the valve to the sensor. Since I have 3 trouble codes I can't tell immediately if that fixed one of them (need to get the codes read again at autozone). IF that worked, then 1 code down, 2 to go.

Just out of curiosity, the replacement hose they gave you to replace the preformed line, was it larger at the end that connects to the manifold than the end that connects to the sensor? It looks like mine is and a std vac hose will fit the sensor end but not the end at the manifold. Was yours like this? What size line did you use?

Thanks for the great info.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:36 PM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
Originally Posted by nocode
Well I have changed the purge valve and the hose from the canister to the valve ($25 piece of 8" rubber!) and the hose connecting the valve to the sensor. Since I have 3 trouble codes I can't tell immediately if that fixed one of them (need to get the codes read again at autozone). IF that worked, then 1 code down, 2 to go.

Just out of curiosity, the replacement hose they gave you to replace the preformed line, was it larger at the end that connects to the manifold than the end that connects to the sensor? It looks like mine is and a std vac hose will fit the sensor end but not the end at the manifold. Was yours like this? What size line did you use?

Thanks for the great info.
the line i got was rubber 1/4" o.d. it cost only a few $.. i replaced the length from the canister to the solenoid. it was fairly tough to get the end on the canister as it is larger than to the connection at the solenoid. i just sprayed some wd-40 on it and it went easier. then i replaced the very short piece between the solenoid and the purge valve. then the remaining piece down to a hard line that leads i guess back to the fuel tank...
that part went on easy.

i did this whole thing to get rid of the CEL and be able to pass inspection.
it didn't change the performance of the engine one iota.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 PM
nocode
New User
Well I replaced the hose coming off the canister, the purge valve, and the hose from the purge valve to the sensor . Had the codes cleared and it came back. So it must be a bad sensor (or canister?).

I've got the new sensor, now I've just got to figure out how to replace pre-molded hose that runs from the old sensor to the manifold. Hopefully I can get a std size hose to fit at the manifold connection (although it looks much larger that the end that connects to the sensor).

Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
Well I replaced the hose coming off the canister, the purge valve, and the hose from the purge valve to the sensor . Had the codes cleared and it came back. So it must be a bad sensor (or canister?).

I've got the new sensor, now I've just got to figure out how to replace pre-molded hose that runs from the old sensor to the manifold. Hopefully I can get a std size hose to fit at the manifold connection (although it looks much larger that the end that connects to the sensor).
yeah you might have to heat it up a little and take a pen or something similiar and make one end of the line bigger.
i just used some wd-40 and managed to work it on.

it seems then your solenoid is bad as mine was. i would doubt it's the canister.

your gas cap is sealing ok right?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 PM
nocode
New User
as far as i know the gas cap is sealing. how can you tell if its not?

Old 10-18-2007, 05:41 AM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
as far as i know the gas cap is sealing. how can you tell if its not?
you should be able to hear a slight vacuum release when you take the cap off.
i replaced mine anyhow because it was the original and the gasket looked kind of worn. the new one was cheap.

sounds to me that the new solenoid might solve your issue and get rid of the CEL.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Douglas Hilton
New User
1996 ford ranger xlt 4cyl 2.3

hey there well im new to this forum and i dont know what else to do i bought this truck from my uncle its a green ford ranger xlt with that shell thing on the back i have another ford ranger a white v6 4.0 xlt but its my parents now. my 4cyl is having a p1445 problem it passed smog real well nothing wrong with it burns cleaner then clean burns like a new car the only thing is that its putting the check engine light on i have changed the hole system from the carbon filter to the pf sensor both oh them on the same line and reset my cars computer. the check engine light came right back on the only code on it is the p1445 thats it now since i changed the pf sensor and the solenoid what else could be the problem??

Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 AM
97ranger xlt
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Douglas Hilton
hey there well im new to this forum and i dont know what else to do i bought this truck from my uncle its a green ford ranger xlt with that shell thing on the back i have another ford ranger a white v6 4.0 xlt but its my parents now. my 4cyl is having a p1445 problem it passed smog real well nothing wrong with it burns cleaner then clean burns like a new car the only thing is that its putting the check engine light on i have changed the hole system from the carbon filter to the pf sensor both oh them on the same line and reset my cars computer. the check engine light came right back on the only code on it is the p1445 thats it now since i changed the pf sensor and the solenoid what else could be the problem??
all i can think of is maybe one of the lines going to/from the canister has a leak in it or your gas cap isn't sealing properly.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:19 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Have you performed all the TSB trobleshooting tests Ken listed in post #11????

If so what were the voltage readings you got????

If they were high, check the evap system wiring harness where it passes by the power steering bracket, as older models tended to rub there & cause problems.

Also check the purge system electrical connectors for loose, corroded, pushed back, or damaged pins or sockets.

Check the systems ground connection.

If you find the harness is rubbing the P/S bracket & is damaged, there is a wiring repair kit available from Ford, or maybe your model is covered by a recall for this probem, that routes the wiring harness away form the power steering braket, so check your Vin # & see if you qualify for a free fix.

More thoughts for pondering.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Douglas Hilton
New User
going to see

yeah i was going to give those steps a try and crack out my volt meter and see if everything is at the right voltages i took the hole system off of my other ranger from the charcoal canister past the pf sensor and that is working right cause it is working ok on the other truck and put mine on the other truck and my trucks light stays on there is slight cracking on the tubing that comes off the canister and connects to the solenoid and the connects to the pf sensor but nothing triggered a check engine light on the other truck so im thinking its some sort of a short or someone else said it could be that my power train mod has gone by by. the AC compressor is broken and the powers steering is going to be changed tomorrow so ill do some voltage tests and post them up here. just hope its not a big prob. its a great truck and gas friendly i love my ranger

Old 09-06-2008, 02:36 AM
Douglas Hilton
New User
going to see

yeah i was going to give those steps a try and crack out my volt meter and see if everything is at the right voltages i took the hole system off of my other ranger from the charcoal canister past the pf sensor and that is working right cause it is working ok on the other truck and put mine on the other truck and my trucks light stays on there is slight cracking on the tubing that comes off the canister and connects to the solenoid and the connects to the pf sensor but nothing triggered a check engine light on the other truck so im thinking its some sort of a short or someone else said it could be that my power train mod has gone by by. the AC compressor is broken and the powers steering is going to be changed tomorrow so ill do some voltage tests and post them up here. just hope its not a big prob. its a great truck and gas friendly i love my ranger

Old 07-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Bikeman982
New User
Hello everyone - I am new to this forum, and to Ford Ranger Trucks.
I bought a used one - the CEL was on and fault code is the same - P1445.
I need to get it fixed to pass CA smog test.
I have access to a local junkyard (Pick N Pull), should I consider getting parts there??
What part(s) should I change and where (exactly) on the truck are they located??
If I get them from a Ford/Mazda dealer - What should I ask for and anyone have any (part) numbers??
Anyone???

Quick Reply: 1996 Ford Ranger - OBD Code P1445