1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ed's 54 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No. I have the original and will use it. But first I have to get the truck ready. Ed

Old 02-20-2004, 06:08 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Hey John. Who keeps screwing with my signature? I know there are rules about non ford post but there are none about none ford signatures or there would be very few signatures.

Never Mind!. I found the rule but I still cannot beleive it. Ed

Last edited by Fordication; 02-20-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Well I am home and this time no new toys. Now it is time to get back to the rebuild. I was looking at a FE390 and am now not looking at it. In fact now I am looking at that 292 I already potentially have. I have reconsidered the mamoth engine even though I had it so cheaply. It just does not fit my idea of a good all around driving truck.
BTW guys you would not have beleived all of the old fords and chevys I saw that were in good shape in Venezuela. So cool. Ed

Old 02-22-2004, 07:17 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ed,

So why didn't you bring a couple of them home?

Can they be had cheap down there, or would bringing one back be so expensive as to make it not worthwhile?

Old 02-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
They are not cheap but they did want to come home with me. We are talking about the trucks ain't we. Ed

Old 02-22-2004, 10:45 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally posted by Fordication
They are not cheap but they did want to come home with me. We are talking about the trucks ain't we. Ed
Ed,

Well, I was...but did you see anything else sweet down there that you wanted to bring back?

Old 02-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Of course I did but I can't even afford the one I have at home so what the heck am I going to do with another one.? Ed

Old 02-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Well today I got both of the runnning boards off and both rear fenders. To find out what motor and heads I had in the truck I pulled the exhaust manifolds off and found out that I had a 272 ECG block and a ECG-D set of heads. Looks like I will be getting a new motor after all. I finished spraying the front fenders and other front fender well bolts to remove tomorrow. This should be easy. So far I have found only small rust holes that can be easily repaired. Ed

Old 02-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Ed, I don't know what's in your signature that causes the censors to activate. I do know that they try to eliminate anything that would cause arguments or hard feelings. So, it may be in the interest of good feelings and harmony that your signature is being changed. So, try another one. How about "International Ford Inspector." You can also email Kenny and find out what's happening and why. Good luck, John

Old 02-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
No. I was listing a motorcycle as one of my rides. That is what did it. I guess they are really Ford purist here. Oh well. I will stick to the Fords and lay off the much better and versatile Triumph Motorcycles. Its just too bad Ford never made one. Ed

Old 02-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Arggggh! Front fenders and doors took me 2 freaking days. So much for spraying them with a lube. Who the heck designed this truck. You have to take bolts out of the cab to get the fender off. Doors were simple though and all else looks good for coming apart this weekend. Should be down to the frame by Sunday. Not bad for 2 broken weeks work. After looking at the wiring I think it is simple enough to do myself. Advice to all that rebuild. Buy a nut splitter, a dremel and a 4.5" grinder. You will need all to get those damn fasteners out of various places. Oh yeah wear gloves when you do it. The cuts and bruises makes it look like your wife is beating you for your effort.(She really is but I am blaming it on my truck) Ed

Old 02-26-2004, 07:02 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Ed,

Ahhh feel your pain!

When I removed the front sheemetal on my F-3, nearly every nut and bolt holding it on wrung off. That comes with the territory on these old trucks and is one of the "grand" things about living in the snow and salt. I sprayed mine with WD40 too and it did absolutely nothing...

Old 02-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Mine was not so bad. I only had 3 that had to be cut off but they were in the tightest place. Dremel removed all 3 but man was that bed a real pain in the ****. I am going back with stainless when the time comes. Ed

Old 02-26-2004, 08:41 AM
FOWL1
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI I have found that the WD-40 doesn't work that well as a penetrating oil. Try using PB-Blaster. Spray it on and let it soak over night. Then spray it again before you start it. That stuff seems to really work its way through. My grand father was a machinist and tried to teach me some of the tricks he knew. The one thing that is very hard to teach is patience! I still don't have a lot of that.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
That is what I am using and also miracle oil spray. My garage smells like insecticide with the PB spray. It works most of the time but some of the nuts have already dissolved by at least one size and have to be cut off. At least so far all is repairable and does not require replacement other then the chrome and rubber items. Ed

Quick Reply: Ed's 54 Rebuild