460 Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Big Block Wannabe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 Turbocharger

F-350 Turbocharged 460
In my never ended quest to go fast and be different I am currently toying with the following idea. I have a 1995 F-350, Crew Cab, Long Box it can most aply described as a land barge and I have the desire to make it go faster. Things a heavy tank but I'm a young guy and stomping on some unsuspecting stockish mustang would give me pleasure (yes I'm a strange individual).

I live in Canada its winter about 6 - 8 months out of the year, and a vehicle that can deal with large amounts of snow and bad roads is a must. The setup is something I wanted to do on a mustang of mine (which I'm selling if your in Alberta and interested) but a mustang with turbochargers is not a good winter vehicle so I never built it.

I am thinking about the posibility of Twin Turbocharging a 460 Cubic Inch Big Block on a low boost setting, keeping all the funtionality of the 4WD and making sure it is completely driveable all year round. Keeping the heater, the A/C (not needed most of the time but I still want it) and keep the thing reliable.

Anywho... that about sums up how crazy I am and why I've picked the heaviest piece of metal I could. Just another Crazy Canuc I guess

The questions I have for all of you I hope some of you can help me with.

How much boost have people applied to the 460? I am only thinking a max of 8psi on the stock short block. This is okay on a 5L block so a 460 should be more that able to handle it. Ya or na?

Has anybody ever heard of somebody using any type of forced induction on their big blocks? I did a quick search of the site and only came up with the regular turbo deisel stuff which doesn't help.

How much increased torque can the manual transmition, transfer case and clutch take? Using the 4WD I would only be using about 2 - 4 lbs of boost the higher boost levels would be using 2WD just for a pass or two at the track. But still has anybody tested the limits of the transmition and transfer case?

What is the factory computer? It looks like a speed density type system. Has anybody ever thrashed it on the dyno before and tried to tune with it? Did it respond well to changes in the motor? Is the Factory fuel injection apt to crap out if I try and tune with it?

How does the 460 run without its smog pump equiptment. It would simplify matters 10 fold on the passenger side to remove that entire system from the vehicle. The truck already has an aftermarked Banks exhaust with no cats (the exhaust would be scrapped after anyways) it does not seem to cause any problems with the fuel injected computer. The theoretical exhaust routing passes right through a lot of that stuff. And its not as critical as the turbochargers so it would be nice to move that instead.

Also this goes back to the power handling of the driveterrain. Has anybody thrown a shot of nitros at one of these babies? If so how did it hold up?

Not sure if anybody can help me out with this one. But I have been able to somewhat visualize the routing of exhaust, compressed lines, a large intercooler. If anybody has seen something like this done please send me in that direction. A discription a link to any forced indution truck running fuel injection would also be able to help me out.

Thanks for any help you guys can give,
Big Block Wannabe

Old 02-09-2004, 12:09 PM
3eggOmelet
Junior User
supercharging big-blocks is very common in marine applications, and turbocharging anything is possible. the amount of boost (PSI) is completly unaffected by the size of the motor. a 1 liter engine can run 6-8lbs of boost just as easily as a 7 liter engine. the difference is the total amount of CFM air that is pushed through the engine.

you should pick up a book about turbocharging and read up before you consider starting into a twin-turbo project like that. the better books will give you all the relevant info and even help you pick the right sized turbos for your project. more than likely you will not be able to find anyone who has a kit for your application but with some reading and a friend with a tubing bender you can make all your own ducting. the hardest thing will probably be coming up with a good turbo intake, you might be best off finding someone who can make you one custom.

Old 02-12-2004, 12:30 PM
BigCrzyRdNeck
Senior User
the best thing to do is make a new engine and call banks turbo they are the worlds leader in turbo building

Old 02-17-2004, 09:33 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 89 EFI 460 sitting on a run stand, and this past weekend lugged the whole thing over the my local service station for emissions testing, just to get a baseline as to what it gives off based on the factory tune.

All I had on the engine was a water pump, alternator, factory cast exhaust manifolds, a "Y" pipe and a cat, and it breezed right through NJ emission standards at idle.

Without the cat, it passed, but all the measurements were top of scale.

So I think the most important factor in passing emissions testing is a good quality cat that flows well.

Old 02-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Big Block Wannabe
New User
lol No emissions here guys. I don't have to worry about that.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:12 PM
dogman
Elder User
Big Block Wannabe

I have a blown 429 boss hemi (it's the same block as the 460) and it has torque out the butt. Your fuel is going to go into the crapper. I get around 3 to 4 miles to the gal. But I'm also making around 1100 HP to. Here's a foot note for you. I've dino it both ways change the carb. up to a 800 or around there, it will push your HP up around 100 HP more. Off of stock.460 love to breath. I've just started playing with trubos. More info to come.

Last edited by dogman; 02-23-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Yeller
Junior User
If you're still looking for a turbo'd 460, check out this link: http://www.undrprsr.com/fairmont/

He recently redid his site and it's not nearly as descriptive as it used to be, but at least you can see that it can be done.

Old 03-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Coogles
Senior User
I beleive he said hes running an EFI 460.

Anyways, I had one hell of a time setting up a turbo on my honda compared to setting up a supercharger on my truck.

Turbo are complicated 10x... Supercharger is like a bolt on...
Some supercharger kits come with a computer also, or a programming thingymajigger.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 PM
bowen
New User
Turbocharged 460

I am currently working on a 1972 F100 4x4 with a twin turbocharged 460 that will run on propane. we have to o-ring the cobra jet heads because the 20lbs of boost will try to seperate the head from the block. we had the D1VE 460 block dyno tested to insure it. We estimate the engine when complete will have about 800 hp. The compression ratio for the engine will only be 8.5:1
The transmission is a C6 that has been worked over to handle the engine.

The only thing i hanen't figured out is were the propane will enter the intake because it runs off of a regulator and the intake pulls the gas in by vacum.

I hope i am heading in the right direction.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:42 PM
2000BLK54
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Think ya'll are running a little to quickly here. Doesn't need much of a turbo with that 460. Can probably source a cheap rebuilt Holset turbo that will be plenty capable and durable. Depending on your fabrication skills you should be able to use the stock manifolds, buy a few lengths of exhaust tubing, have a buddy flare and bend what's needed, and find a capable tuner. EEC-IV Fords have plenty of tuning options.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 PM
preacherboy24
New User
here is a picture

I built a turbocharged 460. You can see it on ebay right now if you want to get some ideas. I purchased a turbo off ebay and had some headers made. Take a look.
Thanks

Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You tube F2000 1000hrspwr offroad racing truck. twin turbo'd 460 ford 1970 ford. Cool to watch.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 AM
jarod17
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with your project. I was going to go with a twin turbo setup but decided to go with a supercharger instead. I just got an Eaton M90 out of a '91 T-Bird with the 3.8 motor. I know that this will not give me what I want but I am hoping that it will work until I can get the one I want. After I get the parts fabricated that I need to mount it I will let you know how it works out.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:34 PM
78Jimmy
Freshman User
Hey Wannabe, what's the progress of this installation, I'm running a 79 Bronco with a 429 and thinking along the same lines. It's currently a carb job, as I really don't want to implement a stock model EFI, but am hoping down the road to find a nice after market job. Just curious, cuz I can't let an Albertan beat me..

Sask rules..

Old 07-27-2009, 01:56 PM
ford_munky_man
Junior User
If it helps, I am on this same quest. I have a thread that you may check out so far I still am in the planning stage but it has some more info on it.
here:

http://460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136213

also do a search and you can find more. here is another site that is a little helpful.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

soak it up and enjoy, I am still trying lol