PCM replacement-any correlation to Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Re/Max Bob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCM replacement-any correlation to Predator?

I have a 02' excursion 4x4 (34K) with the diesel. The truck started violently shaking at speed, dumping smoke from exhaust, and then lost all power. I replaced the stock tune on the side of the road with the Predator, re-started and drove for 10 minutes and it repeated above. I took it to the dealer. They received code P0603, intermittently shorting EEC test, PIN Point test, and they replaced the PCM.

Could there be something wrong with my Predator, or any thing to do with the amount of times I change the tunes? I have not reinstalled yet just to be sure. Thanks,

Old 02-07-2004, 04:47 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No, reflashing the computer cannot cause PCM failure. The EEPROM in the computer is cabable of reflashed hundreds of thousands of times.

The P0603 error is due to not clearing codes with the code reader before taking it in to the dealer. Programming the computer with a non-stock tuner typically will give one or more of the following error codes:

P0603
P0604
P0605

These need to be cleared before taking it to a dealer or they will often incorrectly diagnose the computer as bad.

I'm not saying the computer isn't bad, they can fail just like any other part. Its just that you need to make sure you clear codes from the computer after returning it to the stock tune in order to correctly determine the true cause of the problem.

Did they check the CPS while they had it?

Old 02-14-2004, 07:28 PM
bob arrington
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thankyou,webmaster, respectfully,bob