Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Transmission shudder

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 04:06 PM
gaga2311
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Escape transmission shudder

Frustrated one.

I know I shouldn't do this but if you have any questions, try...

Gibby221@zoominternet.net

It's just that I get so tired of big compinies walking over their customers.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Frustrated one
New User
Question Transmission shudder

The adress didn't quite come thru... is there a different way you can explain what to do ?

Old 08-30-2004, 04:20 PM
gaga2311
New User
Cool Transmission shudder.

E-mail addresses are not allowed on this site. I understand.

Use my post, go to Ford and demand a new torque converter, that is if it is still under warranty, or you bought an extended warranty.

In other words, don't let Ford push you around and make you pay for another transmission flush when it is their torque converters that are the problem.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:28 PM
gaga2311
New User
Ford Escape transmission shudder

Frustrated one.

724-272-5586

Old 09-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Frustrated one
New User
Exclamation shudder gone ???

I just wanted to let you all know my most recent revelations with my 03 escape... Went to shop a few weeks ago, Ford hotline told dealer to replace the torque converter... got the truck back, still had the same problem...sent it back to dealer again ( 4th time for same problem / shuddering intermittently ) and after removing the trans again and doing tons of tests... they found a bad left front CV joint !!! I have had the shuddering problem since the truck was new, and yes the problem was intermittent... It's been a couple of days since I got it back and I think they finally got it right this time !! I hope !! Funny thing is the first time I brought it to them for this problem, I told them I thought it felt like a bad CV joint !! New wheel bearings, flushed trans, reprogram computer, new TC, and now two new front axles, I think we got it... Moral of the story, keep bringing it back to the dealer over and over again untill they get it right.... and for all of you out there with the shuddering problem, maybe it's not the infamous cd4e trans...could be your c/v joints also ??? I wish you all luck !! My symptoms matched all of the ones posted in the TC / Trans shuddering threads...Truck now has 11K miles..Hope this helps someone !!!

Old 10-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Garfield
New User
Extras

There's also a flush kit for trans flushing. It's WYNES FLUSH KIT, Includes 2 bottles. A Pre-flush cleaner and a Shutter protector. We do them with every flush here at Ipswich Ford Mass. Maybe that could help you........

Old 10-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Frustrated one
New User
All OK now

It's been a few weeks with the new front axles, finally this truck is right !! Thanks for the other info...

Old 10-31-2004, 10:43 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
A good add on for your vehicle is an aftermarket tranny cooler. Most cars, trucks ordered with a tow package already have it. It looks like a large heater core that fits in front of your radiator. Most trucks that plow for a living have these installed to help keep down the temp of tranny oil. For about $50 to $100 dollars...good insurance considering the price of these newer O.D. transmissions. Some are over $3000.

Old 11-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Lync B.
New User
This same situation happened to my 1996 Explorer Sport (I bought used). Get it fixed. My transmission eventually died.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Slammer12
New User
torque converter ??I had the same situation with my tranny a coulpe of weeks ago ford

Originally Posted by gaga2311
Since Ford installed the new torque converter, the shudder is gone and yes, it felt like you were running over rumple strips in the pavement.

I was lucky enough to have a great dealer.
The service mgr. showed me a bulletin from Ford telling them that under no circumstances should they change the torque converter. Ford only recommended a new transmission flush.

He told me that he knew it was the converter and that he would order one and make an appointment for me. He also told me that if he was denied by Ford to replace it, he would give me an 800 number to call as they might turn him down, but not me. That never happened.

Since the replacement, my gas milage has also gone from an average of 18 to 20-21.

Hope this helps you. I had the same situation with my tranny a coulpe of weeks ago ford said if it acted up again they would replace my torque converter my gas milage is very poor lately about 14-16 mpg's so i was wondering if you suggest to change the converter i know you had it done any problems ???

Vic Gibson
I had the same situation with my tranny a coulpe of weeks ago ford said if it acted up again they would replace my torque converter my gas milage is very poor lately about 14-16 mpg's so i was wondering if you suggest to change the converter i know you had it done any problems ???

Old 10-06-2005, 05:16 PM
phayes526
New User
New to the board here. I recently purchased a 2002 Escape XLT V6 4X4. It has 62,000 miles. While driving it yesterday, I noticed a shudder that feels like riding over little grooves in the road. I noticed it happening when is downshifts, it is a very light shudder right now. I bought the vehicle from CarMax and I have an extended warranty until 98,000 miles. Is the shudder enough to take the vehicle in? Should I wait and see if it gets worse?

Old 10-06-2005, 06:10 PM
gaga2311
New User
Escape shudder.

Good thing you purchased the extended warranty.

The new torque converter cured our problems for about 20,000. but the shudder is back again. I may have my dealer look into new cv joints now.

I to purchased an extended warranty and I am very glad I did.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by phayes526
New to the board here. I recently purchased a 2002 Escape XLT V6 4X4. It has 62,000 miles. While driving it yesterday, I noticed a shudder that feels like riding over little grooves in the road. I noticed it happening when is downshifts, it is a very light shudder right now. I bought the vehicle from CarMax and I have an extended warranty until 98,000 miles. Is the shudder enough to take the vehicle in? Should I wait and see if it gets worse?
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

…Enjoy FTE and The State Chapters are located at the bottom of the main forum page.
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:17 AM
bananaboat
Senior User
Originally Posted by phayes526
I'd take it back in. The 01/02 Escapes had the most problems with the shudder and most likely your tranny will die. The prior owner probably had the same issue, flushed the tranny and traded it due to the issue since they were out of warranty. I've seen many owners do this on another Escape forum. The good news - you have a warranty that's going to save you $3500 for a tranny replacement. Beware if they just want to flush and/or reflash the chip. These items might help the problem for a few thousand miles but I'd guess 90% of people who reach the shudder point eventually lose the tranny within 15k miles.

Just curious, what does your tranny fluid look like? Bright red or dark/burnt? Also, make sure anyone who puts tranny fluild in your Escape uses plain Mercon/Dextron III, NOT Mercon V. Your manual and a TSB states ONLY plain Mercon in the Escape. Since you own a 2002 Escape, you may be one of the lucky ones that states Mercon V on the tranny dipstick. Ford never recalled those sticks. People have had dealerships accidentally put Mercon V in the Escapes.

While I typically don't believe in aggressive tranny fluid replacement, I do on the Escapes. A power flush every 30k miles or a "dump and fill". The "dump and fill" is just removing the tranny pan bolt on every other oil change. This dumps just under 4qts of fluid ($5) and will keep your tranny fluid clean and bright red. I've put 85k+ (02 Escape - totaled) and 23k (05 Escape) miles on mine without any issues.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Racubas
New User
New to the board. I just bought a 2003 Ford Escape 2.0 2WD with manual transmission. I am experiencing a shuttering whenever I remove the clutch in first gear. Can anyone tell me what this problem might be and how it can be resolved? Thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission shudder