quick fix for clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 01:17 PM
webly
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick fix for clutch adjustment

Gentlemen,

Here's my first plea for help from a brand new member. I have '75 250 with a big 4-speed floor shift that's in need of serious body restoration which will be this summer's project. But because of the continuing rusting of the cab mounts I have run out of adjustment room on the clutch rod. It's annoying to get it working again, take it out on an errend and experience the clutch pressure point gradually move down to the floor until I can't shift any more... the clutch is no longer separating! The rod is adjusted to as long as it gets and it's still not enough to pull the plates apart.

I've done a search of the forum and know what my problem is BUT I need a quick fix to at least let me drive it for a couple of more months until I can fix it for real. Someone has mentioned lengthening the rod, I've also heard about a temporary fix that involved a piece of 4x4 lumber wedged somewhere.

So, any ideas? Please? I love this thing and it's in great mechanical shape, it will soon get the body work it needs but until then... any help?

Thanks in advance,

Webly

Old 02-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Ecuri
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extend the length of the final push rod. A threaded-rod coupler, an old bolt with head cut and rounded, and a welder (or JB weld) will get you down the road. GL

Old 02-04-2004, 03:34 PM
73Custom
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to FTE...

Obviously the correct fix is to replace the bad cab mount - but you already know that. One way is to jack the cab up and secure a piece of wood between the cab and frame to raise it back up to where it's supposed to be (a very temporary fix). The other is to make a longer adjustment rod for the clutch linkage. I cut and welded a cut off bolt to the clutch rod, to make it a little longer.

Marty

Old 02-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Bonkrr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone happen to have a better picture of the cab mounts than the Motorhaven site. I'd like to get a better look so I can decide if the ones on my trucks need to be replaced or if I'm satisfied with what the PO has done to fortify them. Thanks