Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursion Performance Question while towing

Old 02-03-2004, 11:10 PM
snort
Freshman User
snort is starting off with a positive reputation.
Excursion Performance Question while towing

Excursion towing Question

I have a 2000 7.3 excursion. I will be pulling a 7000lb trailer about 2500 miles in total.

Is that too much weight?

If it's OK, when should I turn off the overdrive and when can I leave it on?

What RPM should I consider the limit for normal operations with the overdrive off?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am new to towing a trailer like this and I am new to the excursion.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:59 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
bigdieseldav is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not just trying to boost your ego here but 7000lbs. to your excursion is nothing, and you will be fine in OD, just keep it 65-70 and your mileage should be fine as well. The only time i switch out of overdrive is on steep hills while pulling and that is just to keep my Exhaust Gas Temps down, and thats with about 12000lbs. you'll be fine!!

Old 02-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
I have to agree with bigdieseldav, 7000 pounds is nothing for the Excursion. The only time I would turn off OD is when it starts "hunting" for gears while going uphill. Otherwise leave it on and don't put your foot into it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.