General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Funniest College homework i've ever seen

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:28 PM
RJR99SS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funniest College homework i've ever seen

I'm taking a college english II class and the subject is "interpretations of evil". Easy stuff, no real right answer, you can basically write whatever comes to mind.

The profesor gave us an assignment to write our thoughts on the class discussion in a letter format for the rest of the class to read. Easy. So we turned them in and the professor xeroxed them and gave a copy of each person's letter to the whole class. Check out this letter, that was written double spaced and in a font 4 sizes to large:

[Chris Rezabek

Dear Prof,
Trying to define evil was a really challenging assignment. I found it most difficult beacause of the short amount of time we had to complete the assignment, you have to understand also that it was the first time in a month I had to use my brain to think of something other than what i'm having for dinner tonight. But based on the letter you have provided for us, many of us have similar and on the other hand totally different views on what evil is. Evil is a very hard topic to figure out what it really is, being that it is based off ones views on what evil is or isnt. However, i think we, as the class did a rather good job of coming up with some good examples and explanations as to what evil could be.

Again, I found this to be a rather challenging but entertaining assignment. It sure beats beats having to define the middle century or any of those other crappy highschool assignments. It's been fun.

Sincerely
Chris]

This is the most interesting piece of work i've ever seen another student do as it's ignorance, laziness, complete lack of taste and shame, and sleazy-ness make it a sort of masterpiece. I think i'm going to go over it point by point to show just how much is wrong with it.

[Trying to define evil was a really challenging subject]. Yeah, no bull man. Except the assignment was to just post your thoughts on the class discussion. I'm sure when the Vatican wants to officially define evil, you're going to be the first one they come to though.

[I found it difficult because of the short amount of time we had to complete the assignment]. We had at least two weeks to get this done, it wasnt a very important assignment. It wasnt even hard, a simple letter with some of your ideas. The professor even said the day it was due to not worry if you didnt turn it in, just bring her a copy of it on the next class date. There wasnt even a word limit or anything, just write your thoughts down.

[You have to understand this was the first time in a month I had to use my brain to think of something other than what i was having for dinner tonight]. hmmm...somehow i do understand...

[many of us have had similer and on the other hand totally different views on what evil is]. We're dealing with a mental juggernaut here folks.

[ Evil is a very hard topic to figure out what it really is, being that it is based off ones views on what evil is or isnt]. So you're saying it's not based off what the Mcdonald's drivethrough menu says? You just blew my mind...

[However, i think we, as the class did a rather good job of coming up with some good examples and explanations as to what evil could be]. This is the funniest part of the letter i think. This is the dude who sits in the back, sleeping most of the time. Any time there's a group discussion he sits there with a dumb look on his face and dosnt say anything.

[Again, i found this to be a rather challenging but entertaining assignment] You're talking about THIS assignment? You mean the one you're writing up now and doing such a terrible job at was entertaining to you? yes, obviously it was rather challenging for you and i think you're dead on with the entertaining part as well...

[It sure beats having to define the middle century] Somehow i would of loved to of read his definition on this.

All in all...this sort of thing is cute in highschool, where you're required to be there and all. This is college though...you dont have to be here. In fact if you go to college and put effort like this out, it's pretty counterproductive because you're obviously going to fail and pay all that tuition for nothing.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:39 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
It is amazing how much work some one wiill do, to get out of work.

This guy knows how to dance.....around.

and do you think he IS paying

Old 02-03-2004, 09:55 PM
MJD
Elder User
I have an attitude toward English classes that is very similar to that guy's. English classes suck. This guy did not want to waste his day writing a stupid letter. I do not do writing assignments quite this badly, but I do not put any unnecessary effort into them either. If I do not like a class, I work enough to pass it and that is all. I have hated English classes since I began school and will hate them until I am finished with the very last one that I will ever need. I do agree that he had plenty of time to do a much better jod that he did.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:28 AM
cwb
Posting Guru
Pay close attention. In five or ten years, this guy is going to be asking you," Where does it hurt?", or "I can get you off, if you just trust me."

Old 02-04-2004, 01:48 AM
rlh
Posting Guru
I had a senior level American Folk Lore class. I had a semester project that included recording graffiti from bathroom walls from bars and gas stations from 7 southern states. It was a gamble and it paid off in the end.

Old 02-04-2004, 06:43 AM
71_4x4_390
Senior User
American Folk Lore

Classic! Great subject to research! But that letter that started this thread was a killer. That guy hasn't got a clue how to properly gaff off an assignment. English is not an elective, and if you want to be taken seriously in the professional world, than self-expression in a tactful and correctly worded manner is essential. Not that I’m any better at it than the next guy.

Now Humanities in a business degree is an elective I had to take. I hated it. The prof just pushed her views of art and culture on us in a real condescending manner. We were ignorant, she wasn't. So when the subject of her lecture was a portrait of a rather regal looking man with his dog, the dog being a "symbol" of his virility and stature in society etc etc... I said "how do you know it just wasn’t his favorite hunting dog, "Sparky"? I got a C in that class......

Last edited by 71_4x4_390; 02-04-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:04 AM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
"how do you know it just wasn’t his favorite hunting dog, "Sparky"

LOL

You screwed up - until you asked such a basic question she was the all knowing supreme being of her world. Your question made her look ridicules and foolish - something supreme beings hate. There are a lot of such foolish and ridicules instructors walking around college campuses today, but given the opening letter, to some they still appear to be intellectual giants.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
Let me guess this person is a Communication Major or a Poly Psy major. Spin, Spin and keep spinning.

I have a point to make no point at all.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:00 PM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Thats like the philosophy final exam.....

The Professor for the final exam sits a glass of water , half full of course, on his desk in front of the class. The professor explains to the class that for their final exam they are to write an essay about the glass of water. The story supposedly goes that a kid in the class gets up after only two or three minutes, hands his paper in and walks out. What did the kid write?....................

What glass of water? The story is that the proffessor gave him
an "A". Like I said it is just a story.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:42 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience with college level freshman English was thus
1. Freshman english -- ALL programs had it as a requisite course so ALL students had to take it. Approx 6000 a year.

2. The proffessor for the class was the tenured head of the English department.

3. As the head of the department, he assigned the teaching chores to grad students. The man never set foot in a freshman English class. (there were dozens of them per term)

4. As the instructor of record, he was the one to choose the text. So he wrote an English text book and chose it for the class. Every student had to buy one and he got royalties.

5. When he wrote the book, he made it a work book. The grad students were required to collect work pages torn out from the book (remember 2nd grade?). Therefore none of the books could be turned back in to the bookstore for credit and new books had to be purchased by new students every term.

This guy had it wired from every angle. Had to admire how he worked the system to his advantage. Go Hogs!

Old 02-04-2004, 02:23 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems to be a common occurance. Except for the workbook part of it, this sounds a lot like the fluid dynamics class I took in college. Funny thing was that the book didn't get published in time for class. For the first month, we had copies of the rough-draft for the chapters discussed.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Idiomaticman
Senior User
hey, as far as you know, this guy is a genius. he just hates writing, i can relate. i am in a writing 121 class. we have three papers due throughout the year, i will spend hours upon hours desiging stuff on CAD, searching mechanical stuff on the web, replying to stuff on this and another forum. i will write out entire things about truck, and cars, and mechanics. then it comes to reading 5 pages, and writing a page on something that is as far for interesting for you as it could possibly be. i understand him. he think that assignment was crap, he will never gain anything from it, so why should be put forth an effort for something that will never help him in the long run. as for me, i would have done a better job because i do not have the ***** to blow off a paper, as i need the good grade. its all what intrests you, that subject/class/assignment did no intrest him.

Idiomaticman

Old 02-04-2004, 03:09 PM
RJR99SS
Elder User
He certainly dosnt look like a genius, he actually looks like he just stumbled out of a trailer park somewhere. That's when he isnt sleeping.

I'm going after a technical degree too, i already have an associates in automotive engineering, yet i dont have any problem writing up a silly english paper. It's easy, you have thoughts on a particular subject...and you write those down.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:22 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think he'll make an outstanding lawyer. Maybe even a politician.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by Idiomaticman
hey, as far as you know, this guy is a genius. he just hates writing, i can relate. i am in a writing 121 class. we have three papers due throughout the year, i will spend hours upon hours desiging stuff on CAD, searching mechanical stuff on the web, replying to stuff on this and another forum. i will write out entire things about truck, and cars, and mechanics. then it comes to reading 5 pages, and writing a page on something that is as far for interesting for you as it could possibly be. i understand him. he think that assignment was crap, he will never gain anything from it, so why should be put forth an effort for something that will never help him in the long run. as for me, i would have done a better job because i do not have the ***** to blow off a paper, as i need the good grade. its all what intrests you, that subject/class/assignment did no intrest him.

Idiomaticman
Remember writing is a form of CAD, it is describing an idea.......no different than a drawing…..

All the design works in the world is no good if you cannot communicate your idea.

Life is full of communication; it is a critical part of life.

Failure to communicate has started wars

Ended marriages

Lost friends

IMO

Quick Reply: Funniest College homework i've ever seen