Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wiper problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 11:19 AM
ltfox
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiper problems

My wiper control hasen't been working properly for some time. The delay won't work right. The thing is when I turn them on I hear a clicking coming from under the dash behind the glove box. Is their a relay for the wiper over their that might be bad?? Thanks for any input??

Old 02-03-2004, 06:34 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
The relay has been chattering/clicking when I turn on my wipers latley. any ideas?

Old 02-03-2004, 08:35 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have there been any other symptoms?

The generic electronic module (GEM) controls the interval wiper function. It also controls four wheel drive functions, warning chimes, keyless entry, interior and exterior lamps, and power windows. Any of these things going haywire?

If the GEM has gone your best bet would be the dealer since a new GEM has to be configured upon installation, unless you have access to an NGS tester and a flash cable.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:38 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
None of the things that you stated are acting strange. Just the click. The wiper delay is very irratic. This may be in the switch though? I dunno?

Old 02-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Ed the outdoorman
Senior User
wiper problems

Does the wiper arm come off the steering colum or is it on the dash. My 97 f350 is on the steering colum and it clicks under the dash too. Mine is so old and worn that the delays are out of whack also. Its called a multi function switch as it controls signals, wipers and high beam on my truck. Real easy to change too. Just take off the covers to the colum, two torx screws hold it in. Unplug the harness and take it in to the dealer. They may need the big number on it to get the right one ordered. I picked up a used one that had one number different and my signals would not work. Anyway the clicking is normal under the dash and if the delays are going its time to change the whole switch.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:50 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
Thanks ED. That sounds exactly like the problem I have. Good info. I'll have to look into changing my switch. Any ideas where to get one and about how much it would cost?

Old 03-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Ed the outdoorman
Senior User
Wiper problems

Hey Itfox, sorry for the delay in responding. I dont have a computer at home yet and checking this site from work means I have to wait for a dead time of the day. I would get it from your ford dealer, mine costs around 70 bucks here in the great white north. One call to your dealer and you will know price and availability.

Ed