Rules of driving in denver

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 03:11 PM
CO4x4SD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RULES OF DRIVING IN DENVER

HA!

I'm just a bumpkin from Nebraska, never had to deal with city traffic of more than 3-400 thoussand people on a regular basis. (except fun trips to LA). When I moved to Denver I learned quick it is kill or be killed on the freeways. The thing I can't get over is the stoplights. When it turns green you literally have to floor it to keep up, and then slam on the brakes like everyone else. Even old ladies drive agressive.

My solution? I retired the Navajo at 200k, and bought an F-250. Just threw some 35's on it so I look over traffic now. With the big truck I dictate speed and lane changes (it scares cars out of the way). So I get to be the guy going the speed limit, enjoying my drive as the psychos try to figure a way around me.

It has to be maddening to the guys behind me. I have the V10 badge on the tailgate so they know I have some power to go, but I don't goose it to save gas. So they tailgate me doing the speed limit. Funny thing is the truck sits so high I can't even see their front ends anymore so who cares! One bad thing is I bet I have to pick a Honda out from under the rear end some day!

So be warned, come to Denver and deal with psycho drivers.

Old 01-23-2003, 03:27 PM
BozemanBeast
Junior User
RULES OF DRIVING IN DENVER

Welcome to Denver, where the fast lane is the right lane.

BTDT

Old 10-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I see nothing has changed since I left there in 85.
I kinda liked the Feds donating a bunch of police cars to the Denver Police Department to lower the average speed from 75 to the federally mandated 55.

The first time they hit the streets the first car they clocked was doing 94 in bumper to bumper traffic at the 25/225 interchange.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Bordaine
Elder User
Originally Posted by mtflat
That is just too funny!! First time I drove thru Denver (I70 to I25)I began to understand that line from "Wolfcreek Pass" - 'like gas thru a funnel or eggs thru a hen'
mtflat
I think you and I are the only ones who remember that song. It had some great lines in it

" One of them looked like a can full of worms, the other looked like malaria germs"

"Said it was sorta like stepin on a plum"

" took that top row of chickens off slicker than scum of a Louisiana swamp"

Old 10-04-2004, 08:45 AM
droptop
Senior User
Originally Posted by Carlene
... The one thing he missed though that is all to common here in the South is "How it's mandatory to pull out in front of oncoming traffic and do 25 while the traffic is doing 60". Carlene
You hit the nail on the head Carlene! There's also the turn signal guessing game. You put on your signal to let the traffic know that you're fixin' to turn up yonder. However, keep in mind that "up yonder" can mean anywhere from 100 feet to 3 miles. It's up to the driver behind the signaling car to figure out the exact distance.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:40 AM
AeroPA
Elder User
FL, yep, I hear that. We always hated those "condominium commandos" in their huge Caddies, barely able to see over the steering wheel. Once you reach old age, it must be a God-given right to go 20 MPH after pulling out into traffic.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:58 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I could've sworn those rules were for California until I saw the title.

The blinker game's the same here, except sometimes, if you're lucky, someone will have theirs on... but it's usually just because they accidentally had it on, then forgot to turn it off - as in left blinker on as they're going down the left lane of the freeway, for miles.... Or, the right blinker on as they cut in front of you into the left lane.

What about the rule that says to never, ever, let a car merge onto the freeway - it's your duty to make it as hard as possible for them, by either slowing down when they're well behind you, or speeding up when they're in front of you, to make sure you cut off their path onto the freeway.

Oh, and if you're not going at least 15 over the limit, you're a slowpoke or a bad driver, and should be tailgated/honked at/flipped off (and that's in a residential or business area - on the freeway, it's 20 over )

Old 10-04-2004, 01:21 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Carlene
The one thing he missed though that is all to common here in the South is "How it's mandatory to pull out in front of oncoming traffic and do 25 while the traffic is doing 60".Carlene
When I lived down south, we observed what we referred to as the "Milton 45 Club." In other words, 45 mph on the highway, in the parking lots, in school zones, subdivisions, etc.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:47 AM
78Ford460
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wolf creek pass

Bordaine,

Nope, I remember that song too! In fact, I have a copy on CD! Would you belive McCall put out an album with Manheim Steamrolller a few years ago with both Wolf Creek pass, and Convoy on it? And, btw, i've DRIVEN that stretch of highway, and it's EXACTLY like the song says (except the feed store is gone!)

Old 10-08-2004, 03:44 AM
Bordaine
Elder User
Its out on CD? I still have it on vinal. I will have to go buy a copy, its been a long time since i listened to CW.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:43 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the last time i went through denver it was with my grandparents because they were too scared to do it themselves...

i always just figured that denver drivers drove at one speed, somewhere around too fast for town and too slow for the interstate.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:12 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
If that aint the truth, se things have'nt change since i lived there, and theres only two other states that might come close washington and oregon.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Fred R
Senior User
Hmm, I can't relate to driving in many of the places mentioned, other than a few experiences in Denver and Austin. As an out-of-towner, Denver wasn't too bad to get around in just following road signs. Austin's signs were much more sporadic.

A good rule for Kansas City would be: Make no attempt to merge smoothly with traffic when entering the freeway. Calculate a precise intercept speed with a vehicle in the right hand lane even if there's a huge gap before or behind it.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:48 PM
jcfb
Senior User
Oklahoma is similar to that, with the added rule of pulling up behind the person in front of you as close as possible. Almost scares me in my stick shift.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They wouldn't like me.

I have a little switch on my dash that goes to the backup lights.

Every once in a long while I have been known to flip that switch and do a burnout!

Quick Reply: Rules of driving in denver