1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

302 timing set

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 09:34 AM
Weldingman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 timing set

I need to know before I find I need to replace the timing set on my 1989 302. How do I make sure I have the valves and pistons lined up correctly?

I know the gears have marks on the teeth that ned to be lined up, but lets assume mine have jumped, so when I remove the cover, will I use a wrench on the dampner and rotate the engine till marks line up and then remove the gears and then install the new and all will be fine?

Can I rotate the engine by hand?

But if the gears have jumped....then will it not be impossible to line up the marks on the old gears? if true ...then what do I do?

I wait to hear from someone. Thanking you in advance!

Welderman SAT. 1-31-04 AM

Old 01-31-2004, 10:02 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 302 timing set

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Weldingman
I know the gears have marks on the teeth that ned to be lined up, but lets assume mine have jumped, so when I remove the cover, will I use a wrench on the dampner and rotate the engine till marks line up and then remove the gears and then install the new and all will be fine?

There are timing marks on each of the timing chain sprockets. You only need to turn the crankshaft until the two marks (little dots) are next to each other. If they won't line up, turn the crank until its at tdc, then remove the chain and turn the cam until the dots line up. You're done.

But if the gears have jumped....then will it not be impossible to line up the marks on the old gears? if true ...then what do I do?

Welderman SAT. 1-31-04 AM [/B]
If the timing chain has jumped, the proceedure above will correct it. And yes you can turn the crank by hand, if you remove the spark plugs first.

Steve