Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

GT40 vs corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 06:43 AM
mikelehmann
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not up too date on any of these cars. but i read a article a few years ago and the bette did very well agaist all the high end cars beating some in a few catigories

Old 02-07-2004, 08:38 AM
95CobraR
Tuned
Originally posted by towboat
"The Ford GT cost twice as much"

What does an original GT-40, Cobra, any Shelby or Boss Mustang sell for today compaired to it's original price?

Just imagine what the deaker's "adjusted market value" will be on a new Ford GT though!
Original GT40's with no LeMans race history sell for $1,400,000. No one is willing to sell a LeMans GT40 so price is hard to guage but $3 to 5 million is a guess. Ford has the most famous one in their museum.

Original Cobras sell for $150,000-$300,000 depending on history and condition.

A low mileage original Boss 429 just sold for $76,500.

All Shelby Mustangs are expensive. They are priced depending on history, condition, and rarity.

I guess if you can spend $150,000 on a car you may not mind paying "adjusted market value". Alot of the cars will be kept by the dealers (they will pay invoice). Some will go very good customers of a dealer. It is rare to find a new car that did not go down in value. Many people lost money on 95/00 Cobra R's. Many have lost on new Corvettes. You have the 10 year rule that collectors refer to. If a car is to be collectable, the car's value will stabilize in 10 years and start to climb. Otherwise, be careful.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:55 PM
COBRAjrb
Senior User
this honda s2000 lets c some links about this car i doubt this a stock egine if it can out run a mustang of the line. where do you get this information on this car? . whats the specs on the s2000? ect.. thanks

Old 02-07-2004, 07:04 PM
BroncoMTR
Senior User
While the GT40 is definately a better car in many ways, the new vette is impressive. It is being built to compete with higher end cars. The look is classier and the design is more "european" then previos models. The whole package appears to have been tightened up in looks, stance, suspension, ect. While the Gt40 is better, I would venture to say that the vette is a better value. The Z06 will be nipping at it's heels in the 1\4 mile. I am impressed with what I've seen of the new vette. As for the GT40, as far as the car without the price, it's one increbible machine.
I'm interested to see what Ford does with the Mustang though. Apparently heading for 300 hp for the GT. The estimated times in motortrend aren't imprssing me though. The Z28's from 3 years ago move just as fast and cost less. I always disliked Ford's choice of the 4.6 to compete with the 5.7. Throughout the years the camaro's always seemed a step ahead. But now they're gone, and Ford has different competition. Is the new Cobra gonna take on the standard vette? Cause the GT40 is a little out of most of our leagues.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For a daily driver, I'd take the Vette (I'm 6'3). For all out performance, the GT. Only the Enzo can beat the GT and it is basically a Formula 1 street car with a huge sticker price. The Vette is a good world class car at a bargain price. But it is not in the same class as the GT.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:04 AM
95CobraR
Tuned
Originally posted by BroncoMTR
While the GT40 is definately a better car in many ways, the new vette is impressive.
I would venture to say that the vette is a better value. The Z06 will be nipping at it's heels in the 1\4 mile. I am impressed with what I've seen of the new vette.
I'm interested to see what Ford does with the Mustang though. Apparently heading for 300 hp for the GT. The estimated times in motortrend aren't imprssing me though. The Z28's from 3 years ago move just as fast and cost less.
I agree. The new vette is nice. A better value? Maybe, but the new Mustang is a better value than the vette.

GT=500hp for $140K
Vette=400hp for $50K (Z06 is $60K)
Mustang GT=300 hp for $25K (400hp Cobra=$35K).

They will sell 1500 GT's the first year. 35,000 vettes and 180,000 Mustangs (they've already sold 8 million Mustangs in the first 40 years).

Old 02-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Peganit
New User
Mustangs vs vettes

Give me 20K and old Fox mustang and I would smoke an unmodified zo6 in all performance perameters. $2000 + 20000. The modification argument is usually hard to keep under control. I could spend 100,000 on a z06 and beat a stock enzo. I could spend 5000 on a Chevette and beat a stock Mustang. It really cant be legitimately used for straight up comparisons because theres allways something cheaper we can modify.
(did you get the Chevette vs Mustang shot? Chevette= Corvette Mustang =GT. hehehe)
The GT and the vette dont compare. The GT is way quicker and as far as looks, its like your sister (you know what I mean) versus Heidi Clum. ok it costs more, but then a vette costs more then a mustang. of which there are versions that are allmost as fast. getting my point? A few mods and you,re faster for less.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Peganit
New User
high compression ratios

Its easier to keep a small bore motor out of detonation. its inherent and its unfair to compare those little pos to our american big bores on this point.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by COBRAjrb
this honda s2000 lets c some links about this car i doubt this a stock egine if it can out run a mustang of the line. where do you get this information on this car? . whats the specs on the s2000? ect.. thanks
The S2000 has a N/A 2.0L 4 cylinder that pumps out 240HP!!

Old 02-21-2004, 01:07 PM
COBRAjrb
Senior User
Question what

umm how can a 300hp v8 mustang be out run by a 4 banger with only 240hp? corect me if im wrong isnt a stock mustang gt up in the 300hp?

Old 02-21-2004, 02:49 PM
carlo
Junior User
Unfortunately

Well unfortunately guys its no longer the muscle car era. Weight is now an issue. Now I dont have any particular numbers because frankly I could care less if a Stang would get outrun by an S2000. I'm a big 'stang fan,but I'm not a fan of the 96+ Mustangs unless they are Cobras.

Just remember guys, its not all about HP anymore.

Old 02-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Peganit
New User
power to weight ratio

How can a 140 horse Yamaha out run a 500 horse Viper? hmm. Oh! Oh! I know! the viper weighs 3500 lbs and the Yamaha weighs 600 lbs. wish someone had told me about that before I embarassed myself!
The Mustang GT is at 260 horses right now. 20 more horses ,about 800 lbs more weight. you do the math.
4 poppers are for kids

Old 02-22-2004, 08:34 AM
carlo
Junior User
Exclamation Uhm, you've lost me...

20 more horsepower and 800 pounds more weight...wouldn't that mean the '4 popper' would win? Correct me if I'm wrong, but 800 pounds is a pretty big weight gain to just add 20 horsepower to. Run the calculations on any of your favorite quarter mile calculators, and that 20 less horsepower 4 banger will win. I'm not a huge fan of the things, but I'll be one of the first to admit, they're a hell of a lot further advanced then a lot of us give them credit for. Frankly the whole ANTI-anything in car's becomes pretty pointless. From an engineering point of view, 4 cylinder cars are testbeds for future breeds of big v-8's that will someday rock the streets. Imagine if that strong 4 cyl with 240 horses was an 8 cylinder. Do you think it would yield less than the Mustang?
Oh, and all my cars are V-8 Fords, so dont think I'm trying to start a flamewar, just simply pointing out the fact that they're doing something right.

Carlo

Old 02-22-2004, 12:25 PM
wahoo
Senior User
speaking of values...

I just went for a Sunday drive on an autobahn in Germany in a friend's 2003 Corvette (not Z06). What a piece of junk.

Sure it's reasonably fast, but not as fast as I thought it would be . What really got to me was the poor quality of everything. The radio controls and AC controls feel very cheap. There were rattles everywhere. Worst of all was the gear shifter. It had a 6-speed manual transmission and I have never felt a more sloppy shifter in a near-new car. The glass top sounded like it may come off at 125mph too.

For the money he spent on this corvette you would expect decent quality. All the rattles, noise from the glass top, sloppy shifter, etc made me wonder if I really wanted to push it any faster.

If a Z06 is not better quality, and I don't see why it would be.... then I'd take a BMW M3 or even a Porsche Boxster over it anyday regardless if the vette is faster or not. No way would I ever buy a non-Z06 vette now. If it had all these shortcommings and was extremely fast then maybe I could see it. But there are so many sports cars out there for $40K-$50K that are almost as fast and much better quality. In case you can't tell, I didn't think it was an enjoyable driving experience and isn't that what we buy performance cars for?

BTW.... no, nothing passed me today but I did have trouble pulling away from a Mercedes sedan. I Bet he didn't have the rattles and wind noise either. The kids looked comfortable in the back seat too.

Last edited by wahoo; 02-22-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:01 PM
4x4xford
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing about the 240 HP for the S2000 is the lack of torque. The HP number is at 8300 RPM, and the engine peak torque is 153 ft lb for the 2.0 liter. Honda has increased the displacement for this year to 2.2 liters, with no increase in HP, but torque jumps to 162 ft-lb. The performance is still behind the Mustang, though - 5.8 sec versus 5.6 for the GT. To get the Honda to launch also requires a redline side step of the clutch - not a good idea if you're paying the repair bills.

Quick Reply: GT40 vs corvette