2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 08:04 PM
sbergsma
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Problems

New 150 owner this week. Picked up truck and noticed severe distortions through the front windshield. Almost like bi-focals where there are horizontal "waves" throughout the windshield. Makes you feel dizzy/drunk when you're driving.

Dealer was fantastic. Noticed the problem and changed the windshield.

New windshield - Same problem.

I know they pulled the old windshield and am assuming they did replace the first one (mainly because of the mess they made) but the new one has the same issues.

Anyone else with this problem?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2004, 08:43 PM
jimmyj
Junior User
Well, I wear bifocals and it looks fine to me!

Seriously, that is really strange. I can't imagine it getting out of the factory like that.

You might want to inspect the next windshield before they put it in. I've just never heard of a new vehicle getting delivered with that kind of distortion in the windshield.

jimmyj
04 F150 SCab XLT 5.4L in Dark Shadow Gray

Old 01-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Dr No
Senior User
I have seen two other post about windshield flaws.
Sometimes it is not possible to tell until it is installed.
The next one will be ok.

Mike

Old 01-24-2004, 11:10 AM
sbergsma
New User
Thanks for the replies so far. Searched a couple of other F150 forums and found a number of posts with windshield problems. Same descriptions: "horizontal waves".

I completely understand that windshields won't be flawless but I've owned a number of vehicles over the years and never had one (two) this severe.

Especially two in a row - same vehicle.

Maybe the third time will be a charm!

Old 01-24-2004, 02:48 PM
jcreality
Senior User
hmmm.......I know basically NOTHING about windows/glass/windshields, except that they are clear & you can make funny faces on 'em.....

but, is there ANY possibility that distortion occurs when mounted on uneven (i.e. WAVY) frame-lines?
Just wondering if the frame around the windshield itself is "off" since you've had two "bad" ones in a row. I'd think it'd have to be WAY off though, to cause noticeable distortion, if even possible at all.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Den01
Freshman User
I have the same thing with my FX4, 5.4. My flaw is in the center lower part of the windshield. I have not decided what I am going to do. It doesn't bother me so I do not know if I will take it in or not.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:12 PM
ck1404
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had replacement windshields that did the same thing. Seems like the glass gets curved in a little too much and gets distorted. If it were mine, I would simply make the dealer continue to replace it until it is right. The mobile glass companies can replace them in your driveway in an hour. I would make an appointment, wait on it and inspect it myself until it is right.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:58 PM
sbergsma
New User
Thanks for the great advice.

I posted on another board as well and have received many responses from others who have had the same issues with the 150 windshields. I thought I was nuts when I looked through the second one and found the same issues but two others who have replied have been through the same process a number of times before they got good windshields.

One said his dealer got frustrated with the OEM product and had an aftermarket company put a windshied in to finally solve the problem.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:59 AM
mn 6.0
Senior User
I wish I hadn't read this post!!!!! I didn't notice any waves in my windshield until I did. Now I see them but they are not in my line of vision. I'll just pretend they don't exist

Old 01-25-2004, 04:03 PM
sbergsma
New User
Sorry about that mn 6.0. Sounds like what I do with my honey-do list. Pretend it doesn't exist and head out in the boat. Believe it or not - it does work!

Had a few emails from others with this problem. One said his dealer acknowledged that there's an issue with the windshields throughout the system. He said he wasn't sure if it was a production cycle or a more widespread problem.

Will have mine back at the dealer this week and will update with what happens.

Thanks to all for the advice and input.

Old 01-28-2004, 03:49 PM
FordForLife
New User
I had a flawed windshield, but it was not a bi-focal appearance. I had what looked like spiderwebs on the corners. Dealer was great, replaced it right away.

You only really noticed them in low light or at night. They gave the appearance of streaks.

Old 01-28-2004, 03:58 PM
grayflare
Junior User
If it bothers you make them replace it again, but this time either make them look it over before they install it or have them call you when it comes in so you can inspect it personally. If it meets with your approval, then and only then, let them install it.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:23 PM
sbergsma
New User
My truck is going back in on Feb 4th for windshield number 3 (second replacement). Dealer has been great so far. I have gotten three emails now from folks who have had to go aftermarket (their dealer took care of the cost) to finally get a good windshield.

Will let you know what happens...

Old 02-05-2004, 06:07 PM
sbergsma
New User
Update:

Brought the truck into the dealer for another replacement. After many looks by many people we agreed there are waves in the glass. This relacement was better than the first windshield but still not very clear. We looked through some other trucks and found some with the distortions very bad and others not so bad.

The dealer said they couldn't replace it again since they didn't see it as a defect in this specific windshield but that it is "just how Ford is making the windshields."

When I mentioned that I have personally communicated (both through this board and others) with about 20 people with the same issue, they asked me to wait as the complaints grow about the windshields and Ford makes a decision to do something about the quality of glass they're putting in the trucks.

I decided that having another Ford OEM windshield put in will probably not solve the problem so I may just go get an aftermarket windshield put in at my own cost.

Love the truck otherwise. This issue, and the possibility of me having to dish out my own cash to remedy it, makes the purchase very disappointing.

Thanks to all for the help along the way.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:26 PM
jcreality
Senior User
document your conversations with the service-manager, Especially with that most-recent comment, save your reciept, Just in case there's some way to collect re-imbursement when your truck-builder realizes the substandard product you've been diligently trying to overcome.

Quick Reply: Windshield Problems