Head Gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 01:28 PM
danger ranger003
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Head Gasket??

Ranger '96 4.0 V6, 91k miles

While changing oil, I noticed some coolant dripping from somewhere. It appears to be coming from (if I'm standing in front of the engine) the lower right side. Right above the exhaust manifold (i think) you can see the side of the block. There is a seam running horizontally, the length of the block. (is that the head gasket?) There's a small place in that seam, where the coolant has been coming out. I've had to fill up the coolant res. a little about once a month, I knew it was going somewhere. When I changed the oil, I'm pretty sure the oil may have smelled a little like coolant. Engine has been slightly stumbling at idle, but otherwise runs great. Do I need to run a compression check on cylinders? How long can I let this go? Is it ok to drive around town? My wife wanted to take it on a 1200 mile trip starting today when I found the leak. I told her that she shouldn't drive it that long, and had her take the other car. She's mad at me now. She says "it drives fine"..... I swear you just can't win (sigh) I've heard that a blown head gasket can do serious damage to an engine?? (if you keep driving it) Any thoughts? Great forum!

Old 01-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an import piece of junk once that must have gotten hot. The head was warped and it filled up one cylinder full of water. I had a 360 that put a shall amount of coolant in the oil pan. If you slowly cracked open the drain plug, the water would come out first.

There is a test that will check for a leak, can't remember the particulars of it.

Old 01-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the seam your talking about runs about 2 inches below the valve covers and runs the length of the block front to back that should be the head gasket. I would have a compression test and a pressure test on the cooling system. Also pull the plugs and see if any of them look different, if you have coolant entering a cylinder(s) the plugs will look steam cleaned. If you are getting a lot of coolant in the oil it will look a little like chocolate milk. You can send your oil out and have it tested. Rockledge sent his out a little while back, you can check with him for the company.