S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

striking still?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:14 PM
ANdrewdrice
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
striking still?

hey, does anybody know if the UFCW union workers are still on strike, I live in AZ and am being faced with this situation. any feedback on the progress of the negociations would be helpful.

Old 01-19-2004, 01:26 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
The strike is still going. No progress has been made. Even with a mediator at the bargaining table.

Old 01-19-2004, 09:04 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Yep its still going on. I'm getting pretty bored shoping at Stater Bros all the time. The nearest Food4Less is 10 miles from home. I won't cross the line other than to to the Bank inside the Von's that holds my mortgage. I wonder if the union officials may not have some ulterior motives.

Old 01-19-2004, 09:30 PM
surfer8400
Junior User
they are bringing in some other mediator ( i forgot official name) but he what he says goes. there will be no barging when he is there, or at least thats what i hear. also, ive talked to a coupple strikers and they said that the union totally misled them and screwed them over. all the workers get helth benifits for free and they are all on strike for 20 bucks, all the stores wanted them to do is pay 20 bucks a month for health benifits, now they are on on the cobra helth system paying like 500 bucks a month

Old 01-20-2004, 04:37 PM
ppaquet
New User
There is an article in the LA Times today 01/20/04 saying that the "AFL/CIO is going to intervene to ratchet up market strike" what ever that means> They just need to go back to work and pay there medical. I would glad bay my fair share of medical as opped to paying over $600 a month for mine as it is now.

GO Vons/Pavillions/Safeway, Albertsons, and Ralph's/Krogers.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:24 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We kicked out the worthless union we had. It was not easy to de-certify a union but it can be done.

Jim

Old 01-26-2004, 10:41 PM
RedneckBuck
Junior User
Hello all,
I work at Stater Bros and we are on the same contract. It is ALOT more than 20 bucks for medical. There is a long list of items.
For example, a two tier wage rate that means any new hires or promotions will earn nearly $3.00 less per hour. A seperate pension plan for new hires which means the current plan for existing members will deteriorate.. Seperate health plan which will shrink the existing plan till enough funds will not be available. the list goes on and on.

All of you guys slamming the union and the people that are on strike should get your facts straight before you attack us. Maybe your future will be on the line one day and you will remember what you have said. We are willing to pay our "Fair Share" for medical. Also keep in mind that we do not have M-F 8-5 jobs, we sacrificed that to have good benifits for our family. We are open all holidays accept christmas 7 days a week so think about that when you need eggs thanksgiving day or more beer and chips on the superbowl that many of us will not see. Or medicine for your kids at 10:00 at night, we will be open for you so please support us!

Old 01-26-2004, 10:49 PM
ANdrewdrice
Elder User
a men, what happens to the veterens when all the newbies have less pay, the employer will harass and fenagle a way into making the vets quit, so all they have is newbs that they dont have to pay anything.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:22 AM
RedneckBuck
Junior User
The most recent letter i received from the union with contract proposal updates states that they want to reduce the new hires to $1.00 more per hour over regular pay for sunday instead of the current time and a half for sunday. It also states "The Employers proposed no language to protect you from being replaced on Sunday or to protect current part-time employees from having their hours given to the new less costly employees." , and for those of you that don't know, it is nearly impossible to become "full-time" you have to work 16 weeks staight and each week has to be 5 eight hour days and they won't let you do it.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:50 AM
ANdrewdrice
Elder User
this sucks, my whole family works for safeway out here in Chino Valley Arizona. we are faced with this scenario. I feel the pain for all you out in Cali. I hope this ends soon for all our sake.