1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Starter stuck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:49 PM
DanMartin
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starter stuck!!!

Hey all,

So, I went to start up the truck today after a quick errand at the bank and after cranking the engine over and catching, the started stuck in the engaged position even after I returned the key to the "on" position. Uh-oh!

So, I turned the key to "off" and....starter still going strong (engine not running but being cranked)...UH OH!

Took out key...no difference.

Wiggled key between on and off...engine tried to catch but starter still cranking. OH MY!

So, I fiddled back and forth between "start" and "on" a few times and finally it stopped engaging, and the engine was running just fine. Whew! Carefully drove home after making sure there was nothing still going on with the starter, and parked it where I can work on it in the morning (didn't try to start it again).

Anyone else ever had this happen before? This is a first for me.

So, I'm thinking the only way that the starter can remain engaged while the key is "on" or "off" is if the solenoid is sticking in the "engaged" position. I think that if it was the key, or switch that the engine would have remained running when I turned the key to "off"....but maybe not.

I looked at the wiring, and nothing seems shorted or frayed (all factory, no mods, even has the rubber covers on the key wire).

Soleniods are cheap, so I'll replace that anyway (unknown age and history, so better safe than sorry). I'm wondering if the starter itself could be to blame (I can't imagine how, as it was energized from the soleniod).

Comments? Ideas? Help of any kind?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2004, 10:40 PM
wildjon300ci
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More than likely it was the silinoid

Old 01-13-2004, 10:58 PM
howler
Senior User
sounds to me like the starter itself hung up, I've had it happen where a build up of crud inside the starter casing has kept the starter from releasing...

Old 01-16-2004, 12:23 AM
DanMartin
Senior User
I replaced the Soleniod ($16.95 from NAPA) and all appears to be well now, but I'm still curious how this could happen.

I read a few posts online and over at the diesel page, and some people say that the soleniod can weld itself to the armature sometimes due to excessive current through the circuit caused by worn starters or (more commonly) corroded cables or poor connections. Interesting...

I cleaned all of the connections when I replaced the solenoid using a brush or some emery cloth, and made sure a healthy coating of dielectric compond was on all the connections except the battery. I also inspected the main cables and made sure they were not corroded internally, which they were not.

I've also heard of weak or worn return springs causing the contacts not to unstick as well.

I'm just wondering, has anyone had these things weld up due to poor connections? Or have they just worn out due to use? Looking at the unit on mine, it appears to have been replaced at least once, as this appeared to be the same NAPA-type part rather than a FOMOCO part, but there's really no telling as I don't know the history of the truck (other than it's been well maintained).

Either way, I'll be keeping a 1/2" wrench handy in the future for a quick-disconnect should this little incident happen again.

Anyways, just more info on this subject for you all to ponder...

Old 01-16-2004, 01:25 PM
hungrymonkey
Senior User
i have had a worn down battery cause it to. they will usually unstick if you smack the solenoid with a tire Iron.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
It is common for the solenoid to stick. If it ever does it just run up to your passenger's side fender and give it a smack. Make sure if you ever have to buy a solenoid you buy the heavy duty one and not the cheap one. The cheap one's sometimes don't even work brand new.

-Matt

Old 01-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Bargod
Posting Guru
I had the same thing happen on a 1982 Honda motorcycle I had.