General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ever been to Hoover Dam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Longneck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever been to Hoover Dam?

Has anyone here ever been to Hoover Dam? I am going to go in March while I'm in Vegas and was wondering if anyone could give me some info. Everything I see on the internet is just bus tours, but I want to know about the dam tour. Do you still get to walk through the dam? How much did it cost? What are things I should look for that I might not? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
BTW - How far from Vegas is it?

Thanks,

Longneck

Old 01-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Andysutt
Postmaster
I've never been there, but I'd like to go.
Take some pictures if you can, I'd love to see them

Old 01-12-2004, 10:56 AM
jade97
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't remember the cost, but the Bus Tour that we took, took us to the Ocean Spray Factory, then to the Dam. We then parked & took the tour through the inside of the dam.

btw...Don't get a Dam Dog at the cafe.....we did.......

Old 01-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I was there 23 1/2 yrs ago.

They still have a lake on one side and a river on the other.

Maybe Watch Vegas Vacation for an updated idea of the place.

Try a search on google for pertinet info.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:14 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was there 3 years ago. We mainly went for Vegas, but decited to haul out to see the Dam. It was fun, we didn't have time to take the tour, so we just parked in the parking garage across the street, and walked over to see it. I still have pict.'s and picked up a paper weight of the Hoover Dam at the gift shop.

Its fun, I'd recommend it !

Old 01-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Opiewan
Elder User
i have been over hoover damn many times in my semi and was sad when 911 happened and they stopped allowing big rigs to cross it. now we have to go all the way around, but i have taken the tour a few times and leaned over the side to see the fish, it is worth the money it cost to see it because it is amazing, i would suggest adding it to the list of things to do while in vegas when you are not gambling or seeing elvis.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:43 PM
RockyMtnF250
Senior User
This link has the info you need for the Hover Dam. I did the tour several years ago and would do it again. They have put in a new high capacity elevator and a visitors center since then. Soon they will be putting in a new bridge across the canyon below the dam, this should allow the big rigs access to this route again.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/service/index.html

Another tour that is very interesting is of the Nevada Test Site. It is free and takes all day. You have to sign up in advance. The only drawback is that is is only once a month and on a weekday.
Very big Wow factor!

http://www.nv.doe.gov/nts/tours.htm

Old 01-12-2004, 05:07 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've driven across the dam dozens of times and it has never failed to amaze me. It is the most incredible sight! The first time I saw it was at night, and all the lights shine on it in a way that makes it seem like something alien. The road leading up to it has recently been widened, but it used to be one of the most treacheropus pieces of road in the country. White crosses every few feet, even at the posted 25 MPH you really had to pay close attention. But when you go, try to park on the right side of the road or you may wait a loooong time to pull back into traffic! ave fun and post pics.

STU

Old 01-12-2004, 06:05 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Was watching history channel and they said that the concrete was still curing in the dam. THey said that some deep in the middle my still be as soft as the day it was poured and it won't fully cure for another 50-60 years. Funny, huh? They take core samples every now and then, that's how they know.

Mike

Old 01-12-2004, 10:10 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru
Boulder City has a nice little museum of the dam. It'll help explain the building time line, what equipment was used and what the working/living conditions were back when it was built. Also, it's free.

Old 01-12-2004, 10:20 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by BLK94F150
Was watching history channel and they said that the concrete was still curing in the dam. THey said that some deep in the middle my still be as soft as the day it was poured and it won't fully cure for another 50-60 years. Funny, huh? They take core samples every now and then, that's how they know.

Mike
I think I remeber seeing the same show. Just think about how much concrete that is. Kinda scary to think it isn't cured yet, isn't it? Here's anothe thought, the company that would do the job the cheapest got the contract. Built by the lowest bidder. Remember that in elevators.

Old 01-12-2004, 10:41 PM
66 Ranger
Elder User
The last time I was there, couple years ago, they weren'tletting vehicles stop on the dam and if you were walking, no backpacks. Traffic was terrible but it was worth it. The tour was still going then, too. While you are in Vegas, check out "The Gun Store". It's on the way from the Vegas strip to the Hoover Dam. They rent machine guns and let you shoot them on their range. Seems like it was $30 bucks or so, definately something to do if you don't have access to that type of firearm at home. I don't take long to spend $30 bucks there but it's Vegas and $30 bucks. won't last very long anywhere in that town. Another thing to do is go to Shelby American. It's out north at the Speedway. Museum and other things to see. Sure beats listening to slot machines, ding ding ding ding ding..............

Old 01-13-2004, 01:11 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Years ago my boss called me into his office and said, "I want you to go to Vegas, spend a week at the Flamingo Hotel and observe their computer reservation system". I answered, "Yea right, sure you do", thinking he was kidding me. He wasn't kidding and I spent the next week there on the company tab. After the first day I knew all I wanted to know about their system so I rented a car and drove up to the dam. It was worth the drive and I recommend it. I haven't been back since, but I'm thinking about going back to see all the changes and maybe have a drink with George Davila.
Dono

Old 01-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Longneck
Senior User
Thanks for all the replies guys! I am have been wanting to see the dam for a long time. I am an engineer and before I became an engineer I was a lab tech that worked with cement, so this thing amazes me. The reason the dam is still curing is that they used a Type 4 (Verrrrry slow setting time) cement in it. The slower the cure the less the heat generated, that way it wouldn't crack from uneven setting. Even with the type 4 they still had to pump water through pipes set in the dam to help cool it.
I think I will be like Cousin Eddy and bring my fishing pole and beer and ask the guide, "Where can I get some damn bait?"
I will definately give the new digital camera a workout.
Keep the replies coming,

Thanks,

Longneck

Old 01-13-2004, 08:15 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Assume engineering from way back, go and enjoy it is very cool

You will find it incredibly informative

Quick Reply: Ever been to Hoover Dam?