1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Mis-fire and lean condition...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Rancha9
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mis-fire and lean condition...

As some of you may (or may not) remember... For some reason, my 2000 2.5L has been thinking it has been running lean for some time now. It has been bad enough at times to set off the CEL. (Don't remember the code #, but it was "Lean condition, Bank 1"). Now, it's definately NOT running lean (the soot on the tailpipe confirms that). Here lately, the alternator suffered a rather spectacular and massive failure (I've got pictures, the whole alternator basically welded itself together) But anyway, after replacing the alternator, I was hoping that my problem would be fixed, but, even though it runs better now, the problem is still around. Today, on the on ramp to I-95 (under full throttle) it started mis-firing. Enough to make the CEL flash, but not enough to really be noticeable (Didn't feel like a whole cyl dropped, more like one plug on one dropped, or maybe one coil). Could this be an indication of the solution to the supposed lean problem? An ignition system failure? Bad coil? New plugs and wires? It's got 63,400 on her and I still haven't changed the plugs or wires. Help, somebody????

Old 01-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your "LEAN CODES" are probably due to a bad O2 sensor. I would try and fix that problem before changing the plugs and wires.......