1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

89 Ranger 2.9 from bad to worse ?fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Bogus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 89 Ranger 2.9 from bad to worse ?fuel?

I think I posted this into the wrong forum before. Sorry if you have seen it twice.

My truck was not running well. It would bog down and had little power. This would improve a little after it warmed up. I was told to replace the fuel filter (something I have done several times before) after I replaced the filter the truck would barely start. I thought I had done something wrong but the filter was in running the right direction. I replaced it again just to be sure. The truck starts and acts like it is going to run but then idols rough and dies. Pressing the gas makes it bog down and die. If I continually tap the gas peddle I can get the RPMs up to about 2500 but I cant keep it there for more than a couple of seconds. I thought it might be a fuel pump so I replaced it but it didn't help. Any suggestions??? I'm running out of money to spend on it.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:51 PM
99 ranger bob
Elder User
check the pressure on the rail and you may find that its got dirty injectors is the check engine light on? any codes?

Old 01-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Bogus
New User
I don't have a fuel pressure guage. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend the $40 to get one. When the engine is off / key on, and I press the plunger in the valve on the fuel rail, I get a little spirt of fuel. It's about 1/16" in diameter and goes up about an inch to an inch and a half. Is that helpful at all??? I kinda figured it should be a bigger spirt.

I'm low on cash due to the other problems I had with this truck durring the week. The tip of the tail pipe broke off and the exaust some how melted the right rear turn signal. It looked fine on the outside but was all melted on the inside. I had to rewire it and replace the whole assembly after I got the tail pipe replaced. My breaks also went out. (at a very bad time!) I had to replace a break line. I really like not having a truck payment but this old truck aint holding up too well.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:35 PM
wayneo
Mountain Pass
Hello bogus,
Welcome to FTE, hope we can help solve some of your promblems, So does your truck have black smoke coming from the exhaust when it is idiling rough? If so it could be the map sensor is your promblem. It is located on the firewall closest to the passenger side. Flat black in color with a electrical plug and a single vacum line going to it. Check the vacum line for leaks, This sensor should set a code but there is always a chance it may not. Good Luck keep us posted.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Bogus
New User
Thanks for the welcome!

I never saw any smoke. I did replace the vacuum line to the fuel regulator. All the vacuum lines are old and britle. I bought about 3 foot of extra hose so I may just replace it in the morning.

Old 01-11-2004, 08:40 AM
wayneo
Mountain Pass
Yeah the hoses get old and britle after a couple years. Once you get your truck running, the hose you replaced on the regulator, pull it off and see if any fuel is present, and if the idle on your truck changes (If the regulator is doing it's job you should here a change in idle.) If you see fuel when you pull it off replace it, it's bad. And of course you said all the hoses where old and britle this could very well cause a rough idle as well as bad performance on any vechile. Check the regulator and replace the bad vacum lines let us know what happens, Good Luck...

Last edited by wayneo; 01-11-2004 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Bogus
New User
The vacuum line to the map sensor looked very good. It was a larger diameter than the other lines so I couldn't replace it.
I unhooked the line to the fuel regulator and I was able to get the truck running (barely) While my wife was tapping the gas I took a pair of pliers and squezed the return line and the truck started to run much better. I'm heading to auto zone as soon as it opens to get a new regulator. Fingers crossed!

Old 01-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Bogus
New User
Oh, I just noticed that my schroder valve is leaking gas too. I think God is telling me to get rid of this truck!

Old 01-11-2004, 01:09 PM
ol yeller
Elder User
Check the voltage going yo your battery. If it is not getting the plus 12 volts could be the altenator harness is loose or shorting. The fuel is usually the 1st to have problems when on low voltage.

Old 01-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Bogus
New User
Well, if you ever want to buy a fuel pressure regulator they are 29.99 at Advance Auto Parts. It was 40 to 60 every where esle. Sadly that didn't help my problem. The guy at Advance also let me try a MAP sensor, but again no luck. It does run well enough to drive at about 25 m.p.h. with the vacuum line to the MAP sensor disconnected. I had them pull the codes while I was there: 12, 67, 94. They weren't that helpful and I had driven there without the MAP sensor's vacuum line connected.

How do I go about checking the voltage?
I was thinking: starting the truck and then disconnecting the battery and checking at the leads???

Old 01-12-2004, 08:45 AM
wayneo
Mountain Pass
Dude you having a hard time outta this truck but don't give up. That regulator was a little steep in price, but it's better than the 40-60 dollar range. Did you do the test I suggested before buying the regulator hope so. Anyway have you checked the converter to see if it is stopped up, (don't go buy one yet) is there exhaust coming out the tail pipe see if you can unbolt it or it may be welded to exhaust so you want be able too. Another thing to try is get the truck running and spray a little carb cleaner into the throttle body see if there is any change, if so not enough fuel delivery. Check the fuel return line may sure it is not clogged up also. You can also spray the carb cleaner around on the top of intake at the base of throttle body see if there is a change in engine, If so you got a leak and need to replace a gasket. Good Luck keep us posted don't give up, it will soon be water under the bridge...

Last edited by wayneo; 01-12-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:37 AM
psycocrazy
Senior User
if you want to give it to me, ill take. lol, sorry for your luck. i just got my truck runnin right, but some one broke into it last nite. good luck with it

Old 01-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your only getting a dribble out of the valve on the fuel rail try cycling the key on/off a few time, if you don't get a strong spary I would think the pump is bad or you have a clogged line.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Bogus
New User
Thanks for all the suggestions but I have officially given up. I'm taking it to a REAL mechanic tomorrow. He's the friend of a friend as is supposed to be cheap and good. I let you know what it problem is.

BTW Exhaust is good, Voltage looks good. Not sure about the fuel pressure yet.