Air intake system available for the working man?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 05:54 PM
MavStallion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air intake system available for the working man?

Does anyone know if there is a cold intake for the 4.9 available that is REASONABLE? I found one in a catalog but I cannot see paying nearly $300 for what amounts to a piece of pipe, a filter and some hardware. Now, I'm anything but cheap (my credit card bills prove that), but, I mean, come on!!

Old 01-08-2004, 08:25 PM
jessfactor
Elder User
i'm getten my truck in a few days and would also like to put a better intake on it. your best bet is to make one. do some searches on yahoo.com or google.com and your sure to find something. you could also look at the 300 dollar one for some ideas. they can usually be built for like 20 bucks. i did one on my ranger and it cost 3 bucks.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:07 PM
low-side
Senior User
When I get the chance, I'm going to change the corrugated hoses going to the airbox over to radiator hose to remove that airflow restriction, and install a K & N replacement filter. With the size of the throttle body and the placement of the air intake for the airbox, I don't see how a cold air intake set-up would help matters all that much.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Intillzah
Junior User
If I remember correctly, you can get the air intake snorkle off a 92-96 F-250. It draws air from behind the grill and into the air cleaner assembly. It's a easy mod to do once you get the snorkle

Sorry, I don't know the part number....

Old 01-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Blue89F150
Junior User
Yea, I'm looking for an exhaust but I'm going to go look for this K&N filter tomrrow..Plus I got my exahust on its way tomrrow. Take a look at this picture looks like the best way to me!! Plus I allready got the snorkle form beside my radiator behind the grill going right into the air filter box!!

Adam Throop

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...529_8_full.jpg

Hope you don't mind that I use your picture who ever this is!
Also to the owner of this awesome truck!!

Old 01-08-2004, 11:02 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if u want a real cold air kit order the replacement filter for the speed density FIPK, its about $50. also the snorkel going to the front of the truck is the same on a 4.9/7.5 froom 87-96/7 and its a better unit. might wanna try adding some insulationg/relfective tape around the intake pieces.