Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:41 PM
jmbobs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Problem

2001 Ranger 4x4 extended cab

My rear brake has a real tendency to lock up when I put pressure on the pedal and the truck has not been run in several hours. This is especially true when roads are wet, but occurs under all conditions. After a brief run the problem appears to disappear, but it still seems to stop faster when only mild pressure is applied to the brakes to the verge of the abs kickin in. I live where the roads are snow covered five months of the year so this is a problem. When the truck was still under warranty, the mechanic did not find anything wrong, but said he adjusted the rear brakes. Whatever he did helped, but the problem soon returned. Any ideas on what the problem might be? thanks.

Old 01-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE!!

The stock shoes are sensitive to moisture, try replacing the with high quality aftermarket shoes.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:29 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
I guess some things never change. I had the same problem on my new 87 Ranger. I just lightly applied the brakes for about the first 50 feet to dry them out on wet mornings. When I did the first brake job at 152K I used mid grade Napa pads & shoes & no more grabbing.

Old 01-03-2004, 09:04 PM
brianjwilson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to be common of all Rangers... I do the same as 87xlt. When they're grabbing real bad, I drive with one foot on the gas and one on the brake for 50 feet or so. Sucks because it'll wear the fronts too, but it seems to work. Might want to try and take the drum off and clean them out REAL good. Seemed to help for a little while. Also, occassionaly back up about 20mph and apply the brakes hard until you stop, should help to adjust the drum brakes.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:48 PM
fmtrvt
Elder User
You can also put on the parking brake rather the the service brake to wipe off the shoes and drums.

For the last few years the Rangers drum brake has switched to a different type self adjusting mechanism, so it self adjusts in the forward direction.