Now the Carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 12:04 AM
CVokie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now the Carb

You guys helped solve my distributor problem by replacing advance springs for my 73f1004X W/360 i'm original owner.

Now I also have the original carb, when I spray cleaner on either side of the plate shaft its apparent that its sucks. Is there good reason to consider replacing the original carb, and if so should I consider a 4 barrel carb for the smaller bores in the primanies? I know i'd have to find another manifold too.

Old 01-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Putt
Posting Guru
You should replace the carb, but we have determined there are NO good rebuilts on the market. If you want a 4 bbl would be a good addition, however you could also get a Holley 2 bbl list number 4412 which is a 500 cfm street performance carb. It would be good as long as you don't have too many modifications. If you are thinking of more tweaking in the future then I'd get a 4 bbl and good intake(but I like 4 bbl).

Putt

Old 01-02-2004, 11:50 PM
CVokie
Junior User
Thanks Putt

Thanks for the specific information you supplied, I think i'll look at the 4 barrel option.

I'v been in your neck of the woods several times as I am a long time FS fireman. MY old District Ranger was the Coville DR.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:20 AM
fordeverpower
Postmaster
i like 4bbl also. I have an edlbrock 600 and its pretty good. There are edelbrock performer and rpm intakes but the performer is $240 so if you don't want to spend that get the cast iron hog. I know nobody recommends them first but like i said if you don't have the money. The edelbrock 600 that i got is 1406 and it has electric choke. Its about $260 and for automatics about another $30 in adapter crap. I debated using a 600 or 750 holley for about them same price of $260 and about $10 for there automatic kit. The kit and adapter are for the kickdown rod in case you were wondering. That edelbrock might or might need a carb spacer I have one on my truck but i didn't put the carb on so I am not sure.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:34 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a edelbrock 750, with a streetmaster intake, works great, good gas milage for a 390, the motor curns out power like no other.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:24 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I highly recommend the Edelbrock Performer Series manifold (#2105) and 600cfm carb. (#1406).

Go to Edelbrock's website for all the recommended accessories (gaskets, kick-downs, etc.)

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

Also, I would suggest getting at least a 1" manifold/carb spacer too. It will help during the hot summer days with carb boil. Keep in mind...the spacer with the four hole design is for a more torque feel .vs the open design for the high rpm feel.

Good luck...

Old 01-04-2004, 10:26 AM
CVokie
Junior User
Thanks to all, this is great info that I will use, why should I use the aftermarket maniford instead of a used fmco, is there a performance difference? I will use the 4 hole spacer for the torque, better to get off the stump than try to keep up with the cars.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:40 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 301 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by Putt
You should replace the carb, but we have determined there are NO good rebuilts on the market.
I'll second that - just like there are no good rebuilt point-style distributors...

The throttle plate shaft in the carb is sucking air because the bores in the carb are worn (and probably the shaft too). Too much slop, and you have a hard time setting the idle mix correctly and then keeping it running good when trying to get moving from a dead stop.

Just like points dizzy's getting their upper bushing worn out and the rebuilders never doing anything about it.

Unless you have a collectors item, and need all numbers to match and can't find another carb, getting it fixed will cost more than a new Holley or Edelbrock. Someone would have to bush the holes in the carb and hone them to fit the throttle shaft. There are people out there, but they are far and few between.

As to the manifold, you can use the stock one if you want, the 2bbl Holley is probably a good bolt-on for the stock 2bbl. Like Putt said, if you want to build it up at all, get a 4bbl. A stock 4bbl intake is good for a stock motor, but again, if you are going to do anything with it, get an aftermarket that's in your price range. They're lighter too, it may be cheaper then the medical bills when you damage your back with the stock cast-iron

Old 01-04-2004, 08:49 PM
CVokie
Junior User
Krewat, I think i will go for the 4 barrel, but i'll have to decide between looking for a used manifold and getting new one. Your right about the heft of the stock manifolds.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:25 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 301 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by CVokie
Krewat, I think i will go for the 4 barrel, but i'll have to decide between looking for a used manifold and getting new one. Your right about the heft of the stock manifolds.
For the record, on the original 360 in my highboy, I used the stock 2-bbl intake, with a 2-to-4 bbl adapter and a Holley 750 (yeah, I know, but the carb was free!)

Ran pretty decent, believe it or not... made a huge difference in high-end power and low-end was improved too, so the 2bbl intake did flow quite well - I also put that setup on a 390 with 9:1 and a mild cam - big improvement over the 360 . If you find a stock 4bbl intake cheap, use it, it can't hurt... try to port-match it if you can ...