1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Wiper Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Samsonitesamsonite
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiper Trouble

Hi, I have an 1984 F-150 i think the motor for my winshieldf wipers is dying on me... to get them to work at all they have to be on high and then when cruising @ 50MPH it will dim the headlights! so im going to replace the motor.... dont laugh but, how do you do that? :P do i have to take off the body flashing between the winshield and hood?
Thanks!
-Jeff

Old 01-01-2004, 06:56 PM
UglyTruck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought here but if it is dimming the headlights I would check the ground for the wiper motor.. I have had other things cause the same kind of problem and it has ended up being the ground.. If the motor still works I would say that this is your best bet...at least before spending the $ on a new motor...

Old 01-01-2004, 06:57 PM
UglyTruck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after rereading your post I would also suggest checking the switch...if it only works on high then I would think that the switch is bad before the motor... but I could be wrong..

Old 01-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Samsonitesamsonite
Elder User
well i checked it out and its not the ground or the switch....... so i will repreat my previous question how do i go about removing and installing a new wiper motor. thanks!
-Jeff

Old 01-03-2004, 05:22 PM
plowpusher
Posting Guru
yes you have to remove the griil work under the windsheild then there is a clip on the motor shaft you have to push in then slide to remove slide the linkage off unbolt the motor

Old 01-03-2004, 09:28 PM
JNCService
New User
I just completed this on my '86 F-350. To get the cowl off I had to loosen the the hood hinge bolts that connect to the firewall about 3/8". Just needed a little more room to get the cowl off and I did not want to take the hood off. Mark their position first. I also had to take the antenna bracket off the cowl so I could slide it over.

The cowl has screws in between the grates as well.

Good Luck!

Jeff