Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original Rear Brakes - Why I Love My Truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 06:06 PM
blackflareside
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original Rear Brakes - Why I Love My Truck

So today I decided to replace my original u-joints due to a vibration in the shifter. Turns out that the rear u-joint has a non-existant bearing in 1 cap. So I replaced both, no problem, easiest u-joint job I've done to date. BTW- these lasted for 143k miles.

While I was at it, I thought I would replace the original rear brake shoes since they too have 143k miles on them. I could not believe that they are only half worn away. I just cleaned them off and readjusted them.

I have been amased at how well this truck has held up.

It's a 1993 F150 Flareside, extended cab, 4x4, 302 5 speed.

In 143k miles I have put on 2 sets of tires, which have been wearing great since I put camber shims in the front when the crappy stock Generals wore the edges off in less than 30k.

2 sets of shocks and 3 exhausts. It seems to go through exhausts quickly. 3 full tune ups. 1 oil pan gasket at 120K. Also replaced the clutch at 120k only because the slave cylinder failed, the disk was still good. 2 sets of front brake pads. All front end and suspension is original.

That's it. EVERYTHING else has 143k on it and still going strong.

I tow my race car trailer with it a dozen times a year.

It always got and still gets 15miles per gallon except when pulling the trailer.

The longer I have this truck the more I like, I don't think I'll ever sell it.

What has been your experience?

Ed

Old 12-31-2003, 06:56 PM
tripndrag
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought my truck brand new durring my senior year of high school. I had saved several summers and had a 76 F-100 to trade in. I got it for about 15K dollars, black F-150 short box, 302, C-6 auto XL, 4x4. For 170K miles the only things I had to do were U-joints, ball joints, a couple water pumps, radiator, rear seals, brake pads, tires, tfi module, couple of batteries. I added a Rancho 3" lift, bigger wheels and tires, stereo, remote start, keyless entry, newer seat, instrument cluster with the tach, dual battery setup. I only had it not start one time in all those years and it was in my drive way, broken ground wires near the battery. It has been with me through thick and thin. I just spent 5K dollars and put a new Mustang shortblock, mass air, headers, new exhaust, alum. heads, autometer gauges, flex fan, roller valve train, A/C kit from Arizona Mobile Air, fresh C-6 and many other fun extras. I am going to put new brakes on here soon, add some 4.10 gears and call it done. I wish it was a little bigger now that I have a family but it gets the job done and it wouldnt feel right driving something else.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:36 AM
lakerdave
New User
95 F-150 4.9 straight-6 Ext. cab: 142+ miles. Replace rear ax. bearing a couple years ago. (That was the only major expense).
A battery and Cables last year. Yesterday, finally had front inner bearings and brake pads replaced. The Pirelli's are about done, (2nd set of tires). That's it!! Only my Crown Vic and Honda CRX came this close to reliabilty. Its no wonder Ford trucks are #1.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:00 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you the original owner (is that how you know whats what in 143k mi?) Must be a lot of hwy if you arn't going through brakes.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:02 AM
blackflareside
New User
Yup, I bought it new in Sept 1992. 95% of my driving is hi-way. I still cannot believe how long they have lasted, and they do work. I have gotten 65k from the front sets of pads.

Ed

Old 01-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
my 91 has 140 k miles on it.

Though it needs some work cause the last owner thought he was a mekeinink.

So far replaced the clutch, master and slave cylinders.
Thermastat. It has new tires on it, except the one he burned up doing burnouts. Though i admit that tire does turn really easly. Specially when the rubber is cold. I took off easy today and it spun

Its a 302 f150 nite. M5OD tranny. POS. Had to have shifter cage rebuilt on that. And the leaky holes sealed in the top.

It needs. (Done in spring time)
New stereo (original owner didn't know what he was doing)
U joints.
new exhaust
Winshield whiper switch
few rust spots fixed (live in michigan)
few dents removed (he hauled wood with it)
New rear window. Ones plexy glass. (from the wood throwing)
I'm going to replace all the wheel bearings too. Just to be safe.
Needs new rear brakes for sure. One wheel cylinder went out. so it ruined the shoes. Pluss the RABS system malfunctions like no other.
Front end alignment.
And stearing Ujoint needs replacement. To much slop in stearing wheel because old one is worn.
I'm hopeing the rear axle gears arn't to far gone. The new Ujoints should clean up the slop i'm hopeing.
When i get the money. gonna put a good zf tranny in there.

it also needs a tune up.

My things i'm gonna do.
GOnna put in a sunroof here in the springtime.
be 300 dollars. LIfe time warrenty.

Tanau cover, and tool box.
Paint job.
undercoat

that baby will be prestine then.
Stock rims for the night are so nice!!! so i wont have to change those. I think i'm going to put police interceptor tires on it taht they put on the suburbans. You can get those at discount tire for any of you that didn't know that and wanted them. =D

i'll post pictures in my galery sometime. I just washed it last night. and 5 miles of driveing today turned it whte from the stupid salt!
stupid michigan people dont konw how to drive on snow.

That almost seems like a lot. But half the stuff dosn't even need to be done. Its just my stuff that i like to do to make it perfect. Basically doing a semi resto.

There is probably more.
Gonna get a paint job too if i dind't say that already. Lots of paint chips and crap.

only one major rust spot above drivers side rear fender.

Last edited by Talyn; 01-08-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:41 PM
mociaz3
Junior User
This is my first post here. I have a 90 F150 4X4. This is my first truck and a winter car for my recent move to New Hampshire. 155K on the clock- new exhaust, manual hubs and Rancho shocks all around so far. Last week I took it to my friends house in Mass for some break-in 4-wheeling, and I really put it through its paces. I was suprised how well it held up, I mean I was really hard on this truck. The next day I was a little worried driving home, but it was like it never happened, no vibration, noises, nothing. I had no idea it was so tough. Everything works too, cruise, AC, both tanks, power windows/locks, everything. The AOD seems fine, good shifts, fluid clean; I think shes got another 75K in her at least. Does need a new oil pan.
This forum rocks, Im on other car forums, but the people here are so much more helpful, nice, patient. I hope I will be able to contribute soon, as I learn more about my truck.
Mark

Old 01-09-2004, 11:52 AM
BobBarry
Senior User
I just bought a '97 F250 Supercab 2wd with 205,000 miles; a former work-truck, so I imagine many of those were highway miles.

I had to replace the waterpump, and a tailgate strap. But that's it.

It looks like it's been carefully maintained; it drives great on the highway, starts and runs with no noises, burns and leaks no oil, the suspension and steering are tight, though it can probably use new front rotors.

I only paid $600 due to the high miles, but I'm very pleased with how solid the thing is. I changed the tranny fluid and filter, and it was cleaner than a rebuilt tranny with 15k miles that I just changed the fluid and filter on.

Old 01-09-2004, 02:54 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Let's see - I bought my 1990 F-150 in March of 2002. It already had 100k on it. The previous owner did an OK job of maintaining it, from what I can tell. Now, it has about 125k on the clock. I just had to do ball joints on the driver's side this week. That's been, by far, the biggest expense. Second was a water pump. Oh, and I bought tires for it. Um, does oil count? I've changed the tranny fluid twice and the rear diff fluid once. And there was the small tear in the driver's seat that I sewed back together. Not sure if that counts as maintenance.

And I'm installing an electric brake controller this weekend for towing a Wilderness travel trailer. I also just put helper leafs in the back. I don't think there will be any problems pulling it. I love my 300!

This truck has been a 10/10 for me, all around. I have not one complaint. It has never left me stranded anywhere, and it always starts, even on the coldest Northeast mornings (when I lived there).

And yes, the Mazda tranny is still going strong after all these miles. The previous owner never changed the fluid once in 12 years. When I drained it, I thought it was used motor oil. That's how bad it was.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:11 PM
donnor
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
experience...

1995 F350 Crew Cab. Ordered mid October 94, built 14 November 1994. Took possession 2 December with 2.4 miles on odometer, which now shows 282,403.7.

Maintenance: Gas, oil & other periodic fluid, belt, & hose changes as recommended, five sets of spark plugs, four sets of tires, new radiator & water pump, 1 new battery, new 3 inch exhaust, starter rebuilt, new 130 amp alternator (original 95 amp alternator still working - now on son's 92 Bronco [accessory drive setup updated to accommodate newer style, but that's for another post sometime]).

Upgrades to date: K&N FIPK, 45 gallon rear replacement Aero Tanks fuel tank, rear seat dome/map light (early 95s did not have this), front grill guard/deer catcher.

Future plans: rebuild/stroke 351 (when it finally starts to show that it needs it), upgrade the E4OD (again, when it finally starts to show that it needs it), soften suspension to help ride quality & add air system to maintain weight carrying capacity, retrofit a modified TTB 4WD system to the chassis (no, I don't want a "swamper" - just a good roadworthy 4x4 for winter time driving while maintaining the excellent highway speed handling that IFS affords).

dn.