Computer Chips & Tuners  

Problem with my chip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 12:00 PM
Tuff02Ranger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with my chip?

Ok, when I've got my diablo chip in the 'off' position, the truck runs and drives like stock. Great. I notice a nice improvement with the chip in the performance position, and I only run 93 octane Amoco or Mobil fuel. However, since the weather has gotten a little colder recently, I've been having a slight problem. When I switch the chip to performance position, I can be driving, and the full-throttle response seems to disappear and the truck just seems to bog and not downshift at all. For example, I was driving behind an old lady that was doing about 25 in a 40 mph zone. I was probably cruising behind her in 3rd I'd say. I punched it to pass her, and just bleueueueh. No downshift, no speed up, just bogging. I pulled over, shut the truck off, put her back in stock switch position, started her up and took off. I tried the same thing and it downshifted and took off, just like stock.

Do I need to change something? I'm just scared that this may be hurting the truck somewhere if it's doing that. I'm also still having a slight issue with the 'pinging' when I give it about 3/4 throttle without enough to downshift. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Am I supposed to have changed anything with the addition of the chip? Spark plugs, fuel filter, etc? Any ideas?

Last edited by Tuff02Ranger; 12-31-2003 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:33 PM
openclasspro
Senior User
has it pinged since chip was installed? or just recently- ? may have a bad tank of gas or gas that isn't premium even though labeled as such- as far as other issue- sounds like a electronic glitch-i can say this ken will take care of the problem-phil

Old 12-31-2003, 03:38 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A couple of questions:

When did you get the chip (I can't look up anything in the books right now as they are down while we finish up inventory count today)?

If you can remove the chip, does it have a white sticker on one of the chips? If so, is it round or square? How cold is it?

Also, what is the ECU code and what customer name did you buy it under (so we can look up the code it was programmed with)?

In the past there were a very small number of vehicles that had cold weather related problems with a chip. Its very rare but if you can provide me with the above information I can look into it.

Old 01-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Tuff02Ranger
New User
I got the chip November 2nd. I bought it under the last name Booth. Either Robert or Bud. Let me know if I need to pull the chip or not to find out what you need. If I have to, I can pull my computer out and get it.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:41 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, pull the chip and let me know about the white sticker.