2000 Ranger Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 03:03 AM
FireCougar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Ranger Headlights

Hi there,

Need some help in figguring out what to do to replace the lamps in my 2000 Ranger's headlights. Running out of places to look for help on-line and the local library doesn't have a haynes/chiltons manual in the 2000 ranger variety.

Any help would be appreciated

Old 12-30-2003, 03:50 AM
cow_boy104
Senior User
If your looking for the bulb number, try 9007.

Old 12-30-2003, 03:52 AM
FireCougar
New User
nope, got the bulbs... need to actually stick the things in there and that's where I'm having problems.

Old 12-30-2003, 08:50 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 375 Likes on 223 Posts
On my '99, which should be identical to yours, all I had to do was spin the black ring 1/2 turn and slide it off, and then the lights just unhooked and slid right out. The passenger side it easiest. The driver's side might be easier if you remove the battery. I was able to do it without removing it, but it makes it easier if you do. No special tools are needed for this job.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:17 AM
FireCougar
New User
well the black **** twisting is a key part to it, looks like removing the battery is needed like you said. my airfilter also seems to be in the way on the passenger side. Sorry, I got these big ol klunky fireman's hands. Rigged up foglights the other day and busted most of my knuckles on my right hand putting the wires in spots where they wouldn't be seen.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-30-2003, 04:06 PM
98rangerstep
Senior User
Originally posted by FireCougar
well the black **** twisting is a key part to it, looks like removing the battery is needed like you said. my airfilter also seems to be in the way on the passenger side. Sorry, I got these big ol klunky fireman's hands. Rigged up foglights the other day and busted most of my knuckles on my right hand putting the wires in spots where they wouldn't be seen.

Thanks for the help.
Nope... I just did mine on my 98 and I had the same problem as you, just look behind the lights and you will see one silver clip on each side. Use a pair of C-clip installers or needle nose pliers and remove those clips and the headlght housing should just kinda fall out....oh yea if you remove your turn signal housing it makes it alot easier. Hope that helps

Old 12-30-2003, 05:35 PM
FireCougar
New User
managed to get at em from behind... the clips are pretty solidly on there, but removing the battery and the air filter housing let me slip my hand through enough to wiggle em out from behind and replace em. My how bright and shiny they are now.. along with a cleaning on the outer lens face.

Old 12-30-2003, 09:06 PM
98rangerstep
Senior User
Originally posted by FireCougar
but removing ...air filter housing.
now how did you remove your air filter housing? I need to take mine out so I can do some redneck mods to it

Old 12-30-2003, 09:08 PM
FireCougar
New User
I cleaned the dust off and the words "Push snaps to open" appeared. So I opened it, moved the upper duct/hose out of the way and that was enough so I could fit my hand between the air filter and the headlight assembly.