600 miles and counting

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 10:25 PM
b2_tim
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600 miles and counting

I really like this turck!

I changed the oil at 520 miles yesterday adding 6 qts of Motorcraft 5W20 and an FL400s filter. I noticed that the dip stick indicated I was 1/2 qt low, but I remembered that it looked about the same with the factory fill, so Im going to leave it there. All my manuals say 6 qts.

I also added some fog/daytime lights since my US truck didn't come with them. Found a nice spot below the bumper with two little tabs that worked nice for some small lights. Found an interesting way to power them. There is a circuit breaker box on the drivers wheel well under the hood. There is a blank spot for a trailer battery charging relay in the box that is hot when the engine is running. I wired a relay I had laying around, to the hot plugs and wha-la, running lights that only come on when the engine is running, and I can use my accessroy key position without turning them on too.

Final note, I have to say the 3.55 Posi-traction works great, running 30 PSI in the rear 255x70x16's. I went out today confident that my engine had enough miles on the clock to do some power testing. It was raining and the roads were soaked. I came to a stop, and then stomped it down and she sure sounded nice, but the back end hooked up with both wheel and I roared up a hill. Tried it again after going through about 10 feet of puddle and same result, I was doing 60mph in no time with no wheel slip. I hope the clutch packs are easy to replace, I have a feeling I'll be using them up.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
If you have the extra cash, send it my way. j/j in all seriousness, Busa01 found me a good set of tires, Dueler HPs made by Bridgestone 265/70r16s great tires, truck handles like it is on rails and they look alot better, if your truck is 2x4 that is. AndI have never driven a sports car that handles so well in the rain as this truck on these tires. BTW, how much did this posi run you?

Old 12-31-2003, 06:06 PM
b2_tim
Senior User
General tires, Uuck

Yeah the F150 came with General Ameritrac, which if they are like all the other OEM General's I have had, they will be coming off well before the wear bars. The posi came with the truck new, wasn't much if I remember, but well worth it. Looks like it will be 50 degrees and sunny tomorrow, not a bad start to 2004. Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
I drove my generals for 20k miles after I hit the wear bars, jsut took it wasy until I could pay 650 bucks for new tires. I love these new ones though, they handle great, but fear they will not alst to terrible long.