Blown head gasket? or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 03:00 PM
nmarlowe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown head gasket? or something else?

I finally took my truck out for its first real drive since replacing the fuel pump. Drove fine, but I did smell some oil and it continues to run hot. Although it doesn't overheat, it does run at the very upper end of normal. So, I decided to check the coolant. It was a little low, so I topped it off. Check the oil and I noticed it was milky.

Also, I found a piece of the valve cover gasket (a corner). I noticed a little oil leaking from the front of the valve cover. Could the valve cover gasket cause coolant to get in the oil? I just put some Marvel mystery oil in a couple of weeks ago, could that be the cause of it being milky?

Additionally, there is no smoke from the exhaust except on a cold startup, but it goes away in a matter of minutes.

I plan on changing the oil again next weekend. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

Neil

Last edited by nmarlowe; 12-28-2003 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:56 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
The valve cover gasket's not going to do that. I'm not sure what Marvel's does to oil. I've never had to use it.

Change it, and if it's still milky after some miles, then you have coolant getting into your oil. That means either you've blown a head gasket (from overheating, by the sounds of it), cracked a head or cracked the block. The gasket is by far the most common thing to go out of the three.

After you change your oil, do a cooling system flush. You buy a flush kit from an auto parts store and hook a garden hose up to it. Works like a charm. Also install a new thermostat when you do the flush.