General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

IBM to Export Highly Paid Jobs to India, China

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 10:36 AM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
IBM to Export Highly Paid Jobs to India, China

But the recession is over and we have best growth in 20 years. Paper statistics maybe?
Nothing surprises me anymore.

yahoo

-Edited by admin-

Old 12-25-2003, 10:45 AM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Exporting' high-tech jobs II: The tipping point

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36220

Old 12-25-2003, 11:57 AM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This stinks soooooooooo bad.

But, unfortunately, our greed is now coming back to bites us in the butt. It's the way nature works.

I will ad a constructive tip: "Telecommute"

India is no different than Tampa to my computer terminal. Of course, expecting to maintain that $125,000 a year job while producing $12,000 a year in productivity is soon to be ~gone~ and unrecoverable (thank heavens!!).

IMHO - nothing more. <== telecommutes *globally* daily and has a fair paying full time job, with security, in the Technology field.

Old 12-25-2003, 12:52 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm....
The trickle is turning into a stream. We are going to be in deep doo doo if it becomes a flood.
Perhaps I'm a pessimist, but I fear this phenomenon (among others) bodes ill for the North American continent.
Corporate profits seek $$ above all else.
I'm glad I carry a tool bag for a living. A guy in India can't turn a screwdriver in Alabama.

Old 12-25-2003, 01:29 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Remember, from the guidelines:

Your User Gallery and posts may not infringe or violate the
copyright, trade secret or intellectual property of another
party.

Article removed. Post links instead.

Old 12-25-2003, 01:32 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Re: IBM to Export Highly Paid Jobs to India, China

Originally posted by carpe_diem
But the recession is over and we have best growth in 20 years. Paper statistics maybe?
Nothing surprises me anymore.
No problem when your main number is being driven by consumer and government spending. Who needs positive trade or jobs? We can make that lower the GDP by letting the dollar go soft. Interest rates won't go up until after the election. Just keeping expanding personal debt by eventually dragging winos and crackheads in for new vehicle financing, send out more credit cards, put all of social security and fuel tax revenue in the general fund and get rid of excess bond requirements by selling them on credit to second and third tier nations as world trade guarantees for participating in another coalition and go to lots of orange alerts to increase muni homeland security costs. Transactions are what really count. And then.....

Old 12-26-2003, 07:31 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who is this

Anyone noyice the strange accent of the tech support for computer systems these days.Seems these big corp. wont even hire us to man the phones.we had more of a problem figuring out what they were saying than the problem we were having with the puter.

Old 12-26-2003, 07:56 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by ctfuzzy
This stinks soooooooooo bad.

But, unfortunately, our greed is now coming back to bites us in the butt. It's the way nature works.

I will ad a constructive tip: "Telecommute"

India is no different than Tampa to my computer terminal. Of course, expecting to maintain that $125,000 a year job while producing $12,000 a year in productivity is soon to be ~gone~ and unrecoverable (thank heavens!!).

IMHO - nothing more. <== telecommutes *globally* daily and has a fair paying full time job, with security, in the Technology field.

O-yes my friend your computer does not understand the difference between Tampa and India, but ya know what does. Price of workers, BENEFITS, these so called “American Businessman” are so smart at taking work from our shores. You know they have got to cut the overhead so they can pay their 55 presidents and 69 VP’s and 45 semi VP’s and, and, and,

Old 12-26-2003, 09:05 AM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Tim Lamkin
O-yes my friend your computer does not understand the difference between Tampa and India, but ya know what does. Price of workers, BENEFITS, these so called “American Businessman” are so smart at taking work from our shores. You know they have got to cut the overhead so they can pay their 55 presidents and 69 VP’s and 45 semi VP’s and, and, and,
Tim it's "pay their 55 presidents and 69 VP’s and 45 semi VP’s and, and, and, outrageously. . I believe.

I mean really - WE all know, for instance the head of one auto brand we all know and love measures his yearly income in the MILLIONS.

We get plastic 4x4 hubs on our $30,000.00 trucks and he gets a MILLION BUCKS PLUS a year.

Every time I see someone buying a new vehicle it ticks me off. If you want to see why jobs are going overseas ask them.

I would argue that no clearer message could be sent that this pattern of corporate behavior is acceptable than buying into it in this way.

Kinda shoots that "it's not MY fault" line in the foot, I think.

Now wait, just hold on a sec. Before you hit that flaming reply button:

NO, it is not ALL your fault.

It is simply one example of this concept that sticks out like a big sore thumb. There are absolutely no shortage of examples.

<== putting on asbestos ear muffs - anyway.

Old 12-26-2003, 09:08 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Those jobs going offshore are departments and often companies, including line and senior management. Corporate officers are responsible for one thing and one thing only, providing a return on investment to the owners of the the company, the stockholders. If the CEO of company XYZ said no, I'm going to leave the company right there in Anyplace, USA because those workers need those jobs and benefits and who cares about profits, stockholder lawsuits would quickly strip the D&O insurance and his personal assets. Until the US public realizes they aren't going to be compensated in the manner they enjoyed during our reign of prosperity and waste, jobs will continue to evaporate.

Old 12-26-2003, 09:13 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Tim it's "pay their 55 presidents and 69 VP’s and 45 semi VP’s and, and, and, outrageously. . I believe.

I mean really - WE all know, for instance the head of one auto brand we all know and love measures his yearly income in the MILLIONS.

We get plastic 4x4 hubs on our $30,000.00 trucks and he gets a MILLION BUCKS PLUS a year.

Every time I see someone buying a new vehicle it ticks me off. If you want to see why jobs are going overseas ask them.

I would argue that no clearer message could be sent that this pattern of corporate behavior is acceptable than buying into it in this way.

Kinda shoots that "it's not MY fault" line in the foot, I think.

Now wait, just hold on a sec. Before you hit that flaming reply button:

NO, it is not ALL your fault.

It is simply one example of this concept that sticks out like a big sore thumb. There are absolutely no shortage of examples.

<== putting on asbestos ear muffs - anyway.
Agree but how do we change something that IMO has a head of steam to it.

Old 12-26-2003, 12:04 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Agree but how do we change something that IMO has a head of steam to it.
Thank you fro asking Tim. Not surprisingly, I have an opinion on that too.

Education.

I feel confident in the assumption that MOST of the Ford (only for example!!) buyers are the working folks that not only built this country but keep it working.

Based on what I see here - in this sampling - they are VERY conservative people, that ARE willing to take the extra steps required to protect what they have worked so long to build.

Logic and rationality preclude the conclusion they actually realize the FULL implications of their choice in buying a new Ford truck (FOR EXAMPLE ONLY!).

I have to think that. If I thought they realized what they were doing I'd have to go . . . postal, - personally.

FWIW and IMHO (in full effect!)

Old 12-26-2003, 12:20 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Education.

Based on what I see here - in this sampling - they are VERY conservative people, that ARE willing to take the extra steps required to protect what they have worked so long to build.

Logic and rationality preclude the conclusion they actually realize the FULL implications of their choice in buying a new Ford truck (FOR EXAMPLE ONLY!).

FWIW and IMHO (in full effect!)
Excellent demographic analysis?

I wonder how much component production Young Ford is actually going to place with China? He did say 'a lot'. I keep looking for Ford to follow GM in distancing themselves from those massive pension liabilities in a bond issue that can die a silent death and breathe new life into total capitalization.

Old 12-26-2003, 12:38 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Originally posted by georgedavila
Excellent demographic analysis? . .
Definitely not, George. Personal opinion and personal observation - only.

But, even I am bright enough to admit that I may be wrong.

So . . please consider this an open invitation to anyone that can step up and explain a reason better than "profitability" to do as Young Ford "is".

I promise to remain fully civil - I'm honestly wanting to validate or invalidate my own personal opinion.

Sincerely.

Old 12-26-2003, 01:07 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Why else would he do in the current business climate? Provide additional, overpaid, under-accomplished jobs to more union members or multiple layers of dug-in Detroit management refusing to change with the times? I'd probably expand the Focus plants and move all production assembly offshore.

Quick Reply: IBM to Export Highly Paid Jobs to India, China