1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Nitto Terra Grapplers for our Expedition, or ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:45 PM
DRM
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nitto Terra Grapplers for our Expedition, or ???

I tried replying to an existing thread - maybe a new one will get some feedback?

Priced the Nitto Terra Grapplers @ under $500 to my door, plus whatever it costs to M&B locally...

Looking for a decent all around "all terrain" tire - not something that gets stuck in wet grass

Any comments, other suggestions? Have always been happy with BFG A/T's - but at close to $200 each for the 265/70 17's, I'll pass...

Oh yeah - going on a 99 4wd Expedition, EB, stock rims.

Thanks

Old 12-22-2003, 04:05 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE

Do a search for Terra grapplers to see my experience with them.

They are insanely noisy - I can't even describe it. And the noise is not the same frequency on each tire, so you have four seperate noises going at once, in addition to the rumbling underfoot.

That and they look really junky.

The most awesome tire available is the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO. More later.

XXL

Last edited by BigMattXXL; 12-22-2003 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:21 PM
DRM
Senior User
I was hoping you would reply

You started this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=171359

And I repled there Friday hoping to get some clarification...

Are you comparing them to all terrain truck tires, or are you comparing them to street tires for cars?

From the ads they *look* pretty cool, and I like sidewall tread (several sets of my swampers have had sidewall tread of some kind). Do you think you just got a bad set or what?

Thanks for the replies

Old 12-22-2003, 08:59 PM
tsdrallyer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You want Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T all terrains tires. They are the best all round tire available now and only about $125 in the 265/760-17 size. Fantastic! But don't take my word for it, go to :
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/orat.jsp and see what other owners say.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:37 AM
DRM
Senior User
Thanks for the suggestion on the Revo's, but they don't look like much of an "all terrain" tire to me. However - their reviews do seem VERY high compared to the others on that site...

Old 12-23-2003, 08:02 AM
dk5122
Elder User
Anyone else have a differant A/T or M/T on your Expy. I looked at the Revo's the other day I'm sure they are great on the road or in the sand. But for wet grass "like stated" or mud they look like a car tire with some tread on the sidewall. I'm just looking for some more aggresive looking tires without a ton of noise. I don't mind spending the money, just don't want to waste it.

Thanks, Dan

Old 12-23-2003, 08:03 AM
BigMan69
Senior User
Originally posted by DRM
Thanks for the suggestion on the Revo's, but they don't look like much of an "all terrain" tire to me. However - their reviews do seem VERY high compared to the others on that site...
Here is a pic on the REVO's.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...+White+Letters
How can you think they do not look like much of an "all terrain" tire? They look more aggressive that the Nitto Terra Crapplers. If you really compare prices the REVO's are cheaper. The Nitto's might be a little cheaper but when you consider in a new boonin' stereo to drown out the tire noise, the REVO's are cheaper.

BigMan69

Old 12-23-2003, 08:15 AM
dk5122
Elder User
Has anyone had these Revo's off-road? I had a set of Bridgestones A/T's "the old ones" before Revo's and got
60k miles out of them. Great tire but with any mud your done.

Old 12-23-2003, 09:30 AM
DRM
Senior User
Originally posted by BigMan69
Here is a pic on the REVO's.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...+White+Letters
How can you think they do not look like much of an "all terrain" tire?

lol...

My tow rig runs these:

My 87 4Runner runs these:

My trail truck ran these:

So yeah, I consider the Revo's to be a "street tire", not an "all terrain" tire. The Pro Comp tire on my 87 4Runner is what I consider an all terrain tire.

That is why I was trying to get a reference point when asking about tires - to me, the Revo's are a street tire, to some - they may as well be a "mud terrain" tire. Nothing wrong with preferring one over the other, I was just trying to guage the responses based on where the respondant was coming from

Anyway - I will be calling and getting some local prices on the Revo's and others just to compare

Old 12-23-2003, 09:41 AM
BigMan69
Senior User
LOL,,,,I hear ya. Why not stick with the Pro Comp All Terrain's you use on the 4 runner?

BigMan69

Old 12-23-2003, 09:49 AM
dk5122
Elder User
How are the Pro Comps compaired to the BFG's? You said you had good luck with the BFG's. So is price the only reason your not considering them again? I was thinking about the Goodyear MTR's for my Expy, any input? Wear to fast? Too loud????

Old 12-23-2003, 12:31 PM
DRM
Senior User
BigMan - Pro Comp does not make anytihng in the size I need for the Expedition.

dk5122 - the Pro Comps are comparable to the BFG's, a tad harder tread compound so they are not as "sticky", and the outer tread blocks do not have quite as open of a void design when comparing A/T to A/T. But price is a big difference in the 2, and the BFG is without a doubt a better tire though the Pro Comp is not a bad tire by any means.

Old 12-23-2003, 12:34 PM
DRM
Senior User
Originally posted by dk5122
How are the Pro Comps compaired to the BFG's? You said you had good luck with the BFG's. So is price the only reason your not considering them again? I was thinking about the Goodyear MTR's for my Expy, any input? Wear to fast? Too loud????
Yes, price is a factor for me - I bought used Expedition as one of the best values in a used vehicle on the market that has 3rd row seating, plenty of interior space, and is a fullsize with *some* towing capacity. Besides that - I am just cheap by nature

The MTR's are a GREAT tire - sticky rubber compound for off road, ice, and wet weather, but they will sound like a true mud tire on the road - far from quiet.

Old 12-23-2003, 05:50 PM
tsdrallyer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't let your eyes decieve you. You are used to highly advertised mediocre tires seen in mags and on TV. Mostly hype. I offroad cross country frequently puling 5200 lbs of trailer. I seldom spin the wheels even slightly. I pulled a 5 ton wrecker out of the mud last year when it was buried front and rear up to the frame, without spinning the tires. Yes, the Revos will pull you. I pulled Suburbans out of ditches on solid ice last winter, when police cars in chains were skidding around. Yes, Revos pull on ice. What more do you want?

Old 12-23-2003, 10:13 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Originally posted by tsdrallyer
Yes, Revos pull on ice. What more do you want?
I actually sympathize with him. I'm well aware that the Bridgestone REVOs are the best truck tire on the planet (and this is from firsthand experience) but I'm still kind of considering the BFG A/Ts.

I know the REVOs are quieter, smoother, wear better, have much better traction, etc., but I still wonder "How cool would the A/Ts be?"

However, I'm mostly talk, so REVOs it is...

XXL

Quick Reply: Nitto Terra Grapplers for our Expedition, or ???