1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 10:13 PM
thewhiteford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

No.1 I love having a manual tranny. CONTROL + CONNECTION

N0.2 The 5.4 is a great engine and is not underpowered. I drive mine as a work truck that is full of equipment and a passenger or 2 every day driving up and down steep roads. Not to mention the weight of the cap. And I can honestly say that this truck really moves. It has NO problem taking on whatever I need. My '95 F150 could not and that is why I stepped up to the SD. The other 2 engines are absolutely incredible and if I had to tow a building off its foundation, then I would choose one of those. But I use the bed 95% of the time and I have loaded it to its capacity often. The 5.4 has operated wonderfully under all conditions. Don't underestimate it.

No.3 Jim59, I think one simple mod could net you the results you need. CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Either Diablo or Superchip. Talk to Ken about the benefits of chipping the auto. From what I've read, it vastly improves the shift response, shift points, and overall "tightness" that you're looking for. Good luck

And BTW, if I didn't mention it already, CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT CHIP IT
You won't regret it.

Old 03-06-2002, 10:55 AM
hitecdan
Elder User
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

OK, let me rephrase my comment. IMHO the V-8 is underpowered in the Super Duty. I’ve got nothing against the V-8s. I think the Triton series engines are excellent engines. In my quest for a new truck, I've driven all 3 engines. The V-8 in a 4x2 regular cab and the V-10 and Power Stroke in a 4x4 crew cab configurations, all had auto transmissions. The diesel (an F-350) has a 4.10 rear and DRW, the others had 3.73s and SRW. The V-8 in the regular cab configuration just seemed to be lacking. It felt just like my current rig, a 93 F-150 super cab, long bed with a cap running a 5.0L with an auto. Yes, it will move, but you have to get it around 4,000 rpms to wake it up and it will pull my 3,000lbs boat. The V-10 and the diesel (especially the diesel after a slight turbo lag) where far more responsive, and they did not have to rev out like the V-8 had to, to get up to speed. The diesel pulled like a train, how do you guys with Power Stroke trucks stop those things? Or maybe I'm just old school. When it comes to horsepower and torque, more is better. It all boils down to what your needs are, and how much money you are willing to spend (in the case of the diesel, an extra $4,000 up front). I’ll be pulling a boat (maybe some day a much heaver boat then 3,000lbs) or a 20+ foot ladies room for the wife (AKA a travel trailer). So I’m looking for something with a little more reserve power. The 5.4 would be fine for everyday driving, but now that I’ve had a taste of the other options available, I would be more comfortable with a V-10 in front of me. IMHO!

dan@prxy.org

Old 03-06-2002, 11:45 AM
powerstroker250
Posting Guru
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

Casey,
That sounds about right with labor. The tranny shop charged my company $1500 for the clutch and labor for the 97 I drive at work. It's a 4x4. They didn't buy the clutch from dial a clutch either so yours may be cheaper than $1200.

Les

Old 03-06-2002, 07:52 PM
Distinctive Dave
Senior User
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

>OK, let me rephrase my comment. IMHO the V-8 is underpowered
>in the Super Duty. I’ve got nothing against the V-8s. I
>think the Triton series engines are excellent engines. In my
>quest for a new truck, I've driven all 3 engines. The V-8 in
>a 4x2 regular cab and the V-10 and Power Stroke in a 4x4
>crew cab configurations, all had auto transmissions. The
>diesel (an F-350) has a 4.10 rear and DRW, the others had
>3.73s and SRW. The V-8 in the regular cab configuration just
>seemed to be lacking. It felt just like my current rig, a 93
>F-150 super cab, long bed with a cap running a 5.0L with an
>auto. Yes, it will move, but you have to get it around 4,000
>rpms to wake it up and it will pull my 3,000lbs boat. The
>V-10 and the diesel (especially the diesel after a slight
>turbo lag) where far more responsive, and they did not have
>to rev out like the V-8 had to, to get up to speed. The
>diesel pulled like a train, how do you guys with Power
>Stroke trucks stop those things? Or maybe I'm just old
>school. When it comes to horsepower and torque, more is
>better. It all boils down to what your needs are, and how
>much money you are willing to spend (in the case of the
>diesel, an extra $4,000 up front). I’ll be pulling a boat
>(maybe some day a much heaver boat then 3,000lbs) or a 20+
>foot ladies room for the wife (AKA a travel trailer). So I’m
>looking for something with a little more reserve power. The
>5.4 would be fine for everyday driving, but now that I’ve
>had a taste of the other options available, I would be more
>comfortable with a V-10 in front of me. IMHO!
>
>dan@prxy.org

I agree. I have a chip on my PSD thats add horsepower firms up the transmission and makes a huge difference. The power increase from a chip on the PSD is mind boggling. I did get the hot rod chip but being able to pull away from traffic and get 20 mpg on the highway in a 7000+ lbs rig is awesome. CHIP IT!

2001 F-350 Lariat 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel Hypermax Chip, Pyro/Boost Gauge and 5 inch exhaust soon to come!

Old 03-06-2002, 08:42 PM
Crocodile
Freshman User
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

My father has a 2001 Super Duty w/5.4 auto and compared with my 2001 SD V10/auto there is a big difference. hitecdan hit it right on the head. You just don't notice those tranny symptoms with the really torquey V10. You have a great engine, but these trucks are darn heavy.

Old 03-06-2002, 10:08 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

Now for the OTHER side
I've had enough stick-shakers to make my left leg sore. I (like NoMo) am tired of pressure plate and throw-out bearing replacements. Yes, you DO lose HP through the auto tranny, but I didn't buy this thing for drag racing
Man, when I'm tired at the end of a long day, I'm THANKFUL there's no clutch and grab going on. Also, when I'm loading my camper with 4" of clearance on each side of my storage area, thank GOD there's no clutch to be slipping gingerly while there's manuevering to be done.

Of all the auto trannys I've had, only one ever needed rebuilding, and that was after 120,000 miles. No clutch ever took me that far.
Regret getting an auto? NOT ME:-X23 Then again I don't have the 5.4 so maybe it's more of an issue with them.

Old 03-07-2002, 10:51 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

All put aside, The worst thing they could of did was to get electronics inside these transmisions.go back to the c6 with an external over/under
drive options .Forget this electric clutch /overdrive torque converter.
Until they get it right ,real trucks have sticks!

Just my $1.00 worth

well, we beat this one to death!

Rich

Ford Trucks Built Tough!
not with rocks
Watch out "X" Mayor of Truckville

Old 03-08-2002, 03:10 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

>well, we beat this one to death!
>
We everything until it's "clear as mud".

Old 03-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

>>well, we beat this one to death!
>>
>We everything until it's "clear as mud".

Yeah, and then we re-post the topic and beat it up all over again

Old 03-08-2002, 10:32 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

Which makes me wonder...Is anyone sorry that they got an auto?

Old 03-08-2002, 11:05 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

Monsta...U DUH MANNNNNNNNNN

Old 03-09-2002, 05:49 PM
superdutyspv
Senior User
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

I LOVE MY AUTO TRANNY. 44,000+ miles and going strong!

Old 03-09-2002, 07:32 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

I'm not sorry I got an auto. but I too got the diesel

Old 03-09-2002, 09:33 PM
Truck Man
New User
Post Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Mar-02 AT 10:34 PM (EST)]I am a "manual trans" guy too. But, my '99 F-250SD, XLT, V-10, which I bought a few years ago used, came with an automatic. I was looking for a Regular Cab, long bed, 2WD, ever since the '99s came out and never found one that was equipped the way I wanted... V-10, 2WD, Regular Cab, manual... that is a rarity here in Tulsa, new or used.. I found my truck used at a Chevy Dealer. Everything I originally wanted except for the transmission. I decided to get it, and so far, I don't have many complaints. Sure, it isn't as "solid" feeling as a manual, but it is actually pretty good. I like the fact that I can put some throttle in without the transmission shifting up immediately. It's the best auto I have ever driven, but that's not really saying that much, in my opinion. Way better than the '94 E-350, 352 powered Crew Van we have at work, which feels like it has a go cart clutch in it. We complained about that when it was new and Ford says it worked as designed. I get 14-15 mpg with my V-10, way better than the 352 in the van.

I still prefer manuals, and both my cars (an RX-7 Turbo II and Contour SVT) are manuals.

I would love to see what my truck would be like with the current 6 speed.

Rich

Old 03-10-2002, 04:24 PM
tinman211
New User
Sorry Ya Got an Auto?

My SD250 5.4 4.10 auto works and shifts great. Especially with a broken left ankle on the way to the hospital.

Quick Reply: Sorry Ya Got an Auto?