Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Fuel Additive road test results

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 06:39 PM
stanggt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have now gone through 2 tanks w/diesel kleen and my MPG seems to have gone down .3 MPG. I guess I will give it a few more tanks...

Old 03-27-2004, 05:50 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I've been intrigued by this thread ever since gchavez started it. As a result, I've done some testing on my own, comparing Stanadyne to Diesel Kleen. I've run a few tanks of Diesel Kleen at the ratio to give a 6 cetane improvment, just to get the system cleared out, then done side by side tests of Stanadyne and Diesel Kleen, but adding Stanadyne to one tank and Diesel Kleen to the other. After that comparison test, I ran the same test with Stanadyne and Diesel Kleen mixed to the ratio that gives a 3 cetane improvment.
The results I've gotten indicate that Diesel Kleen does the same job as Stanadyne, which is saying a lot. I've been a loyal Stanadyne user for years, and when I discovered that Diesel Kleen gives virtually the same mileage improvements as Stanadyne, and I can't feel any difference in the way the truck runs between the two products, I guess I've found another option for fuel additives. I honestly can't pick a winner between the two products.

Old 03-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Bluesbandit
Senior User
I've been reading this thread with interest, though I must admit it has gotten too long for my full attention (feel free to slam me if I missed something), however I have this nagging feeling that I can't quite accept some of the numbers posted as a truly valid test.
#1. Driving conditions vary, and with the small mpg difference, is that factor? (Granted we all know our trucks, and I trust everyones instincts.)
#2. Things like head wind, and temperature seem like they could be a serious factor. If I recall correctly the original tests were done in west Texas and New Mexico, this is the time of year when if you don't like the weather, wait a minute it'll change.
#3. Maybe most importantly (to my thought process here) fill-up's are extremely inaccurate. Unless one constantly pumps untill fuel is visible at specific point on the fill, how can it truly be measured accurately? Even then, what about air pockets, incline, and time for the fuel to settle?
It seems to me like any of these might throught numbers way off. I'm sure everyone gets the idea. I suppose we could all conclude that additives are a good thing without much of a question, and I won't deny that simply because I want to believe it and it seems as plausible as the information in this thread, but it seems like this test has many variables that aren't accounted for.
Tell me where I'm off here please.
Regardless, good info, and good reading.

Old 03-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally found some DK, Been running rotella next fill up I will use the DK. Looking forward to it. I have liked the rotella but I haven't tried anything else to compare it with. Let yall know.

Fire Rooster

Old 03-28-2004, 06:30 AM
Born with a hammer
Junior User
DK & mileage

Well Bluesbandit,
I'm with you on the need for details. Thats why I ran my tests for several months and many tanks. Any variation in "topping off" and other variables evens out as the test sample gets bigger (fill events and overall volume).
DK dod nothing noticeable to improve my mileage. I get 20 mpg on virtually every tank this past winter. One was 21.? another was 19.? Otherwise they all were 20.?.
My driving style, route and conditions ase as consistant as possible. I guess I'm as predictable and booring as my kids say I am.
Power service (the DK people) congratulated me on evidentally having premium diesel that did not need cetane fortification. So... I'll be satisfied with that for now.
I think I'll use biodiesel for lubrication qualities.

Old 03-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Haulerdriver
New User
Fuel question

gchavez! I also live in Tucson, I understood you to say you fill up at a Conoco off of I-10. Is this the one by the Triple T truckstop? If so, I noticed there is a "Use class" and a "Light class". I'm buying a '97 crewcab with a Powerstroke and am curious which is the correct or better fuel to use? I live right around the corner from the afore mentioned station so it would be very convenient. Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by Haulerdriver; 03-29-2004 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I use the light class fuel. As far as I know....the use class has an extra tax added to the per gallon charge. I think it's pretty much the same diesel fuel. But I honestly don't know the difference. Yes, the Conoco is right next to TTT. Lately I've been using Phillips fuel because it's near my home and they lowered their prices about a month ago so lots of people get diesel there. I like to fill up at places where the volume is pretty high. Seems like I get better fuel that way.

I'm not sure if anyone else on this forum has the same experience as I have....but I'm pretty sure they must be using some kind of winter blend fuel here in Arizona because my truck hasn't been as powerful during the last few months. But just lately, (last couple of weeks or so) I've noticed that the engine power has returned. My mileage has gone up about a mpg as well.

I'm sorry I've been absent from this forum for a while.....I'm going to go back and read all the postings and reply to any others who may have asked questions also.

Greg

Old 03-30-2004, 12:12 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesbandit
#3. Maybe most importantly (to my thought process here) fill-up's are extremely inaccurate. Unless one constantly pumps untill fuel is visible at specific point on the fill, how can it truly be measured accurately? Even then, what about air pockets, incline, and time for the fuel to settle?
It seems to me like any of these might throught numbers way off. I'm sure everyone gets the idea. I suppose we could all conclude that additives are a good thing without much of a question, and I won't deny that simply because I want to believe it and it seems as plausible as the information in this thread, but it seems like this test has many variables that aren't accounted for.
Tell me where I'm off here please.
Regardless, good info, and good reading.
Point well taken. I'll be the first to admit my fueling procedures needed some consistancy, especially in the beginning. I've never been able to duplicate my original fuel mileage results....so I too have concluded that I needed to revisit the fueling process. The past few months whenever possible (which is most of the time...) I've been filling at the exact same station, at the same pump with my truck oriented the same direction (in case there is an incline) and fueling up until I see fuel about ready to come out the filler neck. This has been a great Pain In The A** to be sure....but it forces me to schedule fuel refills and just take my time at things. If I can find a way to download my data from my PDA....maybe I can post it here. I've noticed a pretty steady trend in fuel mileage. So much so that I can look at the results and identify my driving habits.

Adding DK makes a greater difference the longer it's been since I've used it last. I mean, if I use DK on my last tank, and use it again on the next tank....then I don't notice any difference in fuel mileage. Additionally....I can go for 3 or 5 more tanks of fuel without noticing a mileage drop. But the drop does come. Slowely at first, only a mile or mile and a half per gallon.....then 2 and maybe even more. Before I know it...I'm only getting 15.8 mpg and it's time for more DK. I add some to my next tank and it makes a immediate difference.

Quadzilla writes that he uses DFA in every tank. I would be interested to see how many tanks of fuel he can go without before he notices a difference. Whatcha think Q?

Old 03-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Johnboy60
Freshman User
Quadzilla writes that he uses DFA in every tank. I would be interested to see how many tanks of fuel he can go without before he notices a difference. Whatcha think Q?

Many of us use DK not only for cetane rating(more MPG), but for additional injector lubrication......that is why I use it in nearly every fill up.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Haulerdriver
New User
Address please

gchavez, would be willing to shoot me the address of the Phillips station you spoke of? I'm all for saving money on fuel, getting tired of high gas prices!!

Old 04-03-2004, 09:45 PM
Big_Jim
New User
I'm new to the diesel truck but love the new found power.I also found that adding DK to my fuel last week (same station) that I lost about 3 mpg. also.but I need an oil change and will change fuel filter and try again to check results.Thanks for the info guys

Old 04-06-2004, 07:25 AM
blue WATER lew
New User
what are the best replacement oil and fuel filters

Old 04-06-2004, 07:31 AM
blue WATER lew
New User
have just purchased pds and want to change all fluids. what are the best filters oil fuel etc. to get and what oil do ya'll (southern guy here)rercommand

Old 04-08-2004, 10:12 AM
dr9999
Junior User
To those that recently started using fuel additives take notes at your next filter change (fuel). Does it look dirtier than normal?

Old 04-08-2004, 05:20 PM
jadel
Senior User
what ever happened to good ol'fashioned transmission fluid to clean your fuel system.

Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel Additive road test results