1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Change in the play of the Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 03:56 PM
eknispel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Change in the play of the Clutch?

I have just replaced the cab mounts on a '66 4x4 F250, which greatly reduced the bind on the doors and straightened the cab overall.
After it was all done and I went for a drive, I quickly noticed how the clutch 'felt' differently. It seems to be engaging in a higher location.

Does anyone know how much replacing the cab mounts can alter the play in the clutch pedal and the way it feels? It is a side effect I hadn't anticipated.

Thanks, Eric

Old 12-17-2003, 04:50 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will need to adjust the adjustment arm between the Z bar and the clutch fork. When you went back up with new cab mounts, you increased the distance from the clutch pedal to the fork. It wasn't much, but enough to make it feel different. Check all the pivotpoints on the linkage to make sure it's not out of wack. It might be a good time to replace any worn bushings and lube it all. Just re-adjust to get the 1-1/2 inch play you need.

Barry

Old 12-17-2003, 05:08 PM
eknispel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info--but as a novice to clutch repair, is this simple enough for a beginner?
Are these adjustments made in the cab or in the clutch assembly?
Any further details would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Eric

Old 12-17-2003, 06:16 PM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the new mounts all the force now goes in to the linkage where as before with the old soft / broken mounts part of the force was used to jack or lift the cab. It's very common.

I had a buddy in college that looked for weeks to try and find a nosie in his truck funny thing is it didn't do it with the clutch pushed in cause the cab was lifted off the u-joint.

The adjuster is under the truck runs from the clutch fork to the "Z" bar. While your there try to twist the Z bar in the long axis if you can feel play go get some new bushings and lube them up.

Last edited by 44dwarf; 12-17-2003 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:36 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you changed the cab mounts yourself, this adjustment is a piece of cake! If you're going to keep driving this truck, I'd suggest buying a shop manual for the year of your truck. They are readily available, look on this site and also Ebay for one. Best investment you will make for your truck.

Barry