removing catlyic converters

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 01:10 PM
truckertony
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question removing catlyic converters

does anyone know what affects it has on the engine if i remove both converters as far as running poorly or what im tired of the popping noise from cooling down and thought this would be one way i live where theres no emission insp.

Old 12-17-2003, 03:21 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Well what kind of truck do you drive? The newer the truck, the more problems you will run into as far as your computer. If it's older, you will be better off.

And Welcome To FTE!

Old 12-17-2003, 03:25 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=165222

Check that thread out for more details on removing cats. There are TONS of details for you in there.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...threadid=162232

Also check out that thread.

Old 12-23-2003, 06:28 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
truckertony,

Removing the cats will only cause you problems with your truck, and I don't care where you live, emissions inspections are coming to where you are. It's also illegal to remove a functioning cat from any vehicle driven on the road. Unless you are racing only, I would leave them or go to some high flow cats that are available from many aftermarket companies. The gains to your street driven truck will be so small if any , you would have to have a dyno to tell it. Please don't invite trouble to come, it'll show up enough on it's own.Just my .02$ Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2003, 09:11 AM
pcdocta
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you just want to change the CATs' because of the popping noises? or is it because you are having other problems with the engine? You may have water falling on top of the CATs from the A/C. I would mention that I have done the removal and noticed a drop in power, not to mention the extra noise out the exhaust. I had a local muffler shop install universal type CATs (one on each side) and my truck runs great. The reason I did not install the original type CATs was because they cost around $2000.00 where I only paid around $250.00 for the 2 universal types...

4.2L, V6, 1997 F-150 Flareside, 3dr., white.......I wish I had a V8...