2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Captain Jim
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission malfunction

This morning I had a "transmission malfunction" show up on my message center and the O/D light started flashing. I reset it, but the o/d light kept flashing. I stopped, shut off the engine and drove a mile or so and it didn't repeat.

Anyone else had this problem? Comments?? I have a 04 F-150 S-Crew Lariat.

Thanks!!

Old 12-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Dr No
Senior User
I have read a post or two on this.It happened the same
as you described.When the light flashes it usually sets
a code in the computer.Ford tech. can check this.I have
not seen anyone post a repair for this yet.

Mike

Old 01-10-2004, 05:28 PM
TerpFan
New User
I just got my truck after waiting almost 12 weeks. The next day when driving the "transmission malfunction" showed up on my message center and the O/D light started flashing. I tried shutting off the engine and waiting 15 minutes or so before driving again. This time the same thing happenned along with check engine light.

Called Roadside assistance. They suggested having it towed to the Dealership. Still waiting for Service Department to look at it.

When we talked to Service Department they said they haven't seen this occur yet. Hopefully error will still show when they test it.

Just curious if anyone seen/had this problem and what the fix was?

Still can't believe it, only 46 miles and towed to shop already. I have an 04 F-150 S-Crew Lariat.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:19 PM
lariatf150
Senior User
I made a great purchase a few weeks ago to troubleshoot the in-law's 98 Monte Carlo. It's the OBD II code scanner. It works on all make/models of domestic vehicles and even the foreigns I believe (see manaul for details). It's the Actron model and I got it at AutoZone for $149. It tells you want the code is that's showing up and you can even turn off the check/service engine light with it. Of course, if you're clueless about this sort of thing you might want to leave it to the mechanics. Since my dad is a mechanic and I grew up around this, I felt comfortable enough to buy it and use it. If nothing else, you can scan the codes and leave the check engine light on or whatever it is on Ford's and THEN take it to the dealer. That way you know what the code was so you know more about what's going on, which might make you less likely to get screwed by corrupt mechanics (if you're unfortunate enough to run into one).
Scanner info: http://www.actron.com/cgi-bin/web_st...d=515205_13213

A little more info about OBD II (on-board diagnostics 2):
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub.../aa030902a.htm

Old 01-11-2004, 09:49 PM
positron
New User
If you have a laptop and want a cheap Diag for OBD II stuff
go to www.scantools.net

They sell the PWM card (ford uses "Permanent Wave modulation")
for $109. Thats what I use on my 97 Sable,2000 Ranger, and will use on my 2004 F-150

Old 02-24-2005, 11:23 PM
Lariat Problem
New User
Angry I have the same problem!

What was your outcome?

I beat you - I had only 40 miles exactly and the same thing happened. They are offering me another truck or just walk or, get it fixed. Right now, they say they think its the transmission sensor - what did you do?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by TerpFan
I just got my truck after waiting almost 12 weeks. The next day when driving the "transmission malfunction" showed up on my message center and the O/D light started flashing. I tried shutting off the engine and waiting 15 minutes or so before driving again. This time the same thing happenned along with check engine light.

Called Roadside assistance. They suggested having it towed to the Dealership. Still waiting for Service Department to look at it.

When we talked to Service Department they said they haven't seen this occur yet. Hopefully error will still show when they test it.

Just curious if anyone seen/had this problem and what the fix was?

Still can't believe it, only 46 miles and towed to shop already. I have an 04 F-150 S-Crew Lariat.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:55 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Lariat......Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.

We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:02 AM
positron
New User
with my problem

found a faulty sensor in my transmission. they changed it and it has been runnin good ever since.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:16 AM
skeeter89sd125
New User
Cool

same thing on mine, just under 500 miles. They towed it and did the repair, said it was a sensor.The next time I took it back to them for a oil change, I had them ck out a whining noise coming from the tranny area. They said it was a bad torque converter and rebuilt the transmission (that was at 3,000 miles) That fixed the whining noise for about another 1,000 miles and now I took it back for the same whining noise and they are saying that they think it is a ring/pinion problem. ( 5000 miles currently) so.....basically, Im really tired of paying big money for this truck with all its problems...but wait...im the one thats whining now...atleast I have my truck, or will have it back at some point, and it will probably be whining right there with me still....

Old 02-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Lariat Problem
New User
Question Should I keep the potential LEMON, or look for another?

Thanks for all of the replies.

I expect the dealer to call me today with their amazing discovery of how they found the problem to be the sensor. I have a long history with this dealership and they are offering me (1) another Lariat, (2) to fix the current 40-mile new Lariat that is now in their shop while I drive around in a rediculous ford escape loaner, (3) to get a full refund. For some reason, I have a bad feeling about the truck and know that I will have only this one shot to walk.

To anyone who is nice enough to read this and willing to respone...

If this were you, what would you do? I realize that my personal preferences may be different from yours, but I would like to tap the technical experience and ford relationships others may have to compare. I happen to be in an area where there is only one ford dealership and have seen over the years how they use this monopoly status to force buyers into a corner of take it or leave it.

Much appreciated!

Old 02-25-2005, 11:47 AM
BruceFX4
Senior User
Lariat,
From the other responses it sounds like Ford received a batch of bad sensors. What are the odds that if pick another truck it will have the same problem? You picked the truck you did for a reason over the others on the lot and if you take another it will always be your second choice.

The dealer, even if they have a monopoly in the area, seems to be very willing to work with you. I would let them fix it and have them give you a couple of days with the truck to make sure you are comfortable with it; they should be willing because there will be a pain factor for them if you take another truck or back out of the deal.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2005, 12:19 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
the sensor was made in mexico from what i have been told the high humidity down there gets trapped inside the senor and causes condinsdsation which ruins the sensor the technician had one he took apart 3 to be exact and they all had the same

Old 02-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Lariat Problem
New User
Unhappy Sensor / Humidity

Thanks again for the responses!

The humidity may just explain the problem. If not trapped while in Mexico, the humidity may have a chance to resurface if shipped to another location that is high in humidity. It just so happens that I am on the island of Maui - I know, poor me, right? We all know that humidity is a natural phenomenon on an island surrounded by water. Perhaps this is a sign that this will keep happening given the regular humidity we have. Do I wait around until the Mexicans figure out the problem or just accept the fact that I am at high risk of the same thing happening over and over again? My gut keeps telling me to walk away while I have the chance, especially since there is also no other Lariat in their inventory that we as a family would really want to be in.

I like the idea of trying it for a few days, but again, there would need to be an answer as to how long it takes for humidity to affect the sensor. Based on my luck with the dealership, after a couple of days of no problems and accepting the truck, the humidity will creep in on day 3.

Is the writing on the wall or am I being unrealistic?

Old 02-25-2005, 01:32 PM
WhiteNight
Senior User
Same thing happened to me ,however the dealer attributed it to the fact that I had the trans oil cooler covered with a peice of cardboard due to cold weather.Removed cardboard and reflashed or whatever and problen solved.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:44 PM
bdmcdonald
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to me ,however the dealer attributed it to the fact that I had the trans oil cooler covered with a peice of cardboard due to cold weather
Why would you cover the trans cooler with a peice of cardboard? New vehicles are engineered for all types of weather and don't need little cardboard covers. When it was -36C here a few weeks ago I drove the truck everyday with no troubles at all. (those heated seats are sure nice!). At least you should have removed it before going to the dealer for problems.

Quick Reply: transmission malfunction