Christmas Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:54 AM
broncr
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas Project

It's been a while since I posted here, but I finally got the ($$$ &) parts together for a little Christmas vacation spruce up on my '82 Bronco.

I just ordered OEM fenders from the local Ford Dealer - believe it or not, they had the best deal I could find - $200/each. Jeff's BrGr just jumped their price to $275/ea + $160/pr S&H. I got to drop a name at Ford which lowered the price almost $150 (and NO S&H)!

Now to my Q's... I also ordered rear wheel arches and plan on using panel adhesive. Some time back there was mention of a Snap On "flange" tool (?) that is designed to aid the patch panel process. Can anyone give me a bit more info.? I'd like to have the correct name/PN to ask the Snap On guy...

Also, I remember seeing the (rear) inner wheel tub patch panels somewhere but now I can't find them. Anybody know where I might find them?

Thanks,

Broncr

Old 12-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Harbor Freight has a flange tool that I had considered buying. It might be OK for the occasional user. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41696

Old 12-11-2003, 09:53 AM
86rustbucket
Senior User
I bought an air powered flange / punch tool from JC whitney for $40, it seems to work ok, used it for the same fix on my 86 F150. I flanged along the cut section of the bedside and then welded the patch over the flange. I got the flange tool after I realized that my butt welding skills were not so good on the other side, also I have a cheaper welder that's not so easy to adjust the heat settings...I haven't looked for the inner fenders for the rear, and I don't really care to replace them since they trap the road crap and water and seem to be the cause of my ginormous rust holes in my bedside. Anyone out there got a better idea than the factory inner fenders, I was thinking about using a large mudflap from a dump truck or something as an inner fender....just cut it to shape and screw it in place...

Old 12-12-2003, 07:00 PM
broncr
Elder User
I'm still looking into the flange tool. 'Seems Snap On wants $70 to $150 for what they offer which is a bit steep for my current plans.

Checking with Painter's Supply, the 3M panel adhesive isn't too pricey - $30, but the gun to apply it is $90. They offered an alternative - "Fusor" - which is a smaller tube for $13 & caulking gun adaptor for $7. They also have a manual flange tool for around $40. The Harbor Freight one looks decent...

Any comments on "Fusor"? I just have to make up my mind on the flange tool.

Thanks for your input so far.

Broncr

Old 12-15-2003, 01:51 PM
kenseth17
Elder User
I know how you feel about the gun bronc. When I was looking they all cost $100. I ended up making my own and cost me about 10 bucks getting a caulk gun and steel from local store fleet farm. I think home depot has all the stuff you would need if you wanted to spend time making one. Mine wasn't pretty but it worked. Fusor is good but I bought usc cause it was a little cheaper. The bad thing is they only give you two mixing tips with the package and if you use them two you have to buy a whole package of new ones at like 17.00 cause they don't sell them individually.

Old 12-15-2003, 05:17 PM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Fusor is okay. Man thats steep on the guns. Now im thankfully I talked the 3m rep out of a set. :-)

Snap on = biG moneY!

Check the EASTWOoDCO they have the flange tool you want. I have one of theirs and with the proper care (oil) it'll last a lifetime. Ive used the heck out of mine and still works great! Ill look up a P/N for ya afterwhile I need to order some eastwood stuff so I'll be on their site anyway.

If your local jobber doesnt sell the tips individually, Id call another. Mine does.

Old 12-15-2003, 05:56 PM
broncr
Elder User
My rear patch panels arrived today. I'm getting anxious to get started. So much so that I went ahead & picked up the one fender that came in last week.

Thanks for all your replies & tips - look for more Q's from me as the project unfolds. It sure is nice to have a forum of "buds" to rely on. I'm going to try to find the Eastwood site now!

Ford has the rear inner tubs - how does $70/per sound??? I'm debating fabing something up. After all - this isn't going to be a show truck (YET!).

Broncr

Old 12-15-2003, 05:59 PM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
http://www.eastwoodco.com/Department...h+Panel+Repair

that has a manual flanger, build on a set of vice grips and the air powered one.

Manual Pn# 31092

Air Pwr Pn# 31015

Old 12-15-2003, 06:05 PM
kenseth17
Elder User
I always hated snap-on, come in this big truck full of very good tools and say you don't have to give me any money right now, you will just have to pay for it the rest of your life. I only bought a few things from them thankfully.

Old 12-15-2003, 06:07 PM
kenseth17
Elder User
man I might have an article somewhere on fabin tubs, probably take forever to find it though. Last time I checked on sheet metal it was like 60 bucks for a 4'x8' sheet. If the price of the steel is still the same, I think I would just buy the tubs.

Last edited by kenseth17; 12-15-2003 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:21 PM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
I wish I could say that. Ive got more into Snap On and Sata and Iwata spray equip than I care to think about. Lets just say its worth more than my house. =( but im almost out of the snap on hole. about 1200 more bucks to go! *sigh* but I have a very good dealer, he shows me his cost and marks the product up 5% or so. Good deal for me and he makes a little too.

I like the ideal of using mudflap for the Tub. If you need metal up there then I think JEGS offers a set of tubs, its meant for a dragster but im sure youcould cut the width down and spot weld it in then douse with a good coat of POR 15

Old 12-15-2003, 07:35 PM
broncr
Elder User
I showed my wife the Eastwood site. I think Santa is going to bring me a 31231 (pistol grip).

Any (DIY) body repair books that anyone would highly recommend? The 8 page section in my Chilton's Bronco manual is awfully brief, and doesn't even touch patch panels - just fiberglass
hole repair. Fortunately, I have an '84 parts Bronco that will serve for practice.

Thanks again

Broncr

Broncr

Old 12-15-2003, 07:51 PM
kenseth17
Elder User
what articles do you need. I've got tons of stuff on bodywork. All I did was buy car magazines when I was a teenager. Should have got playboy's instead, I think that industry would have paid better and been even more fun.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:48 PM
broncr
Elder User
I'll be going after the rear quarter patch panels first. I'm a rookie at it but have considerable mechanical knowledge, and no fear...

I've decided to try the fusor panel adhesive method - given prior posts on it's superiority over welding (for ease ). I have a wire feed mig welder but am only a journeyman with it.

I'll have to dig up the original post on panel adhesive patch panels - a test where the adhesive panel held up on one side while the other (welded one) began rusting after a couple of years.

Broncr

Old 12-16-2003, 04:51 PM
kenseth17
Elder User
They have stuff on installation right on the fusor site. I don't think I have articles on that because most of the stuff I have is from the late 80's and mostly used the adhesive for door panels. try http://www.fusor.com/Techinfo/Produc...sp#mb_techtips

Quick Reply: Christmas Project