Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Alignment of a Dana 44 TTB

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 09:41 PM
89eddie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment of a Dana 44 TTB

I have an '89 Fullsize Bronco with the Dana 44 TTB up front. Very shortly I will be installing an 8 inch suspension lift on it, in addition to my 3 inch body already. I have a set of Mickey Thompson 39 x 18s that will be going on there.

My question is, can I have the axle aligned with my current 33 x 12.50s. My local Brake Check will give me a great deal on a lifetime alignment if I am running 33's. They wont even touch the 39's with good reason...

Does the TTB change its angles depending on which tire you are running. Sometimes I think yes, but it seems like it wouldn't care. Just looking for the facts...

Thanx guys

P.S.
How do I tell if my factory shims are at zero degrees? Should the lift kit return everything back to zero degrees?

Im planning on ordering a 6 inch kit, and these 2 inch leveling spacers... But the manufacturer says the factory shims need to be at 0 degrees...

Old 12-08-2003, 10:17 PM
natewoz
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wider tires and less backspaced wheels can cause more leverage and moves were the weight is distributed. It can cause differences, but I think that they wil be minimal.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:48 AM
bubbaf250
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not dramatic, but not just minimal. The change occurs because the pivot bearings are loaded differently, the spindle flexes on the knuckle, and the ball joints give a little too. Of course, wheel offset affects the leverage exerted on all these parts.

Simple experiment. Check the camber with the wheel lifted off the ground (weight of the wheel/tire hanging), but supported directly under the spring (so suspension movement is not a factor). Then set it straight down and check camber again. You'd be surprised.

Last edited by bubbaf250; 12-09-2003 at 12:50 AM.