Notices

Adding keyless entry with power locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Proudf-150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adding keyless entry with power locks

I recently bought a 98 F-150 4x4 that has power locks but no keyless entry. I was wondering where can I get a keyless entry system that is easy to install, and how much will it set me back.

Thanks for any info in advance !!!!!!

Old 12-07-2003, 01:34 PM
BDU33
Senior User
Proud F150....I was dinking around with the forums and read your thread. I did a search using key word "keyless entry" and "emtabmm" as the thread starter, and found lots of info...maybe what you are looking for maybe in there somewhere. Good luck with your search

Old 12-10-2003, 12:09 AM
tripndrag
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If you want Ford stuff try oemfordparts.com, they run about 160 bucks with remote start and the bypass for the PATS system if you have that. PATS is the anti theft system where you have the special key that communicates with your computer before your truck will start. I can't find any dealers that know enought about the system to tell me if it has pitstop mode. I am buying one of their systems for my 01 Taurus. They look like there are very few wires to connect but are a little more expensive.

Omega makes a great system and sells interface kits, I bought one those for my Mustang, keyless entry was around 30 bucks, 15 bucks for the interface harness and relays, the remote start that plugs right in was about 70 bucks. The system works great and has the pitstop mode on the remote start so if you forget something in the house or just need to go in somewhere for a couple minutes you can activate the remote start and keep the vehicle running so you can remove your keys from the ignition. I really like the pitstop feature, on this model you have to flip a momentary switch 2 times to activate it. Also with this system if you loose power to it you have to learn the remotes to the keyless computer again before they will work. Mine is the one without the long range stuff. I didn't like the remote that long range model came with and the range of the normal model is fine.

DEI makes the 551T and they have a newer model now, it is around 80-100 dollars for remote start and keyless entry, works great and has the pitstop mode. On the DEI you can just press the start button on the remote to activate the pitstop feature then remove your keys. This is a nice unit.

Most places have good directions with wire colors and locations in your vehicle so you can do it yourself. If you have all the wire colors and you buy the harnesses to go with your kit it is no harder than installing a simple stereo. If you wire the relays yourself it is a little harder. I have used the same remote start system that works off of the output of a car alarm since 1990 in my 87 F150 and never had any troubles accept for a hood safety pin switch that got crusty and broke. It is a must on any car I will own now. I don't really care for the car alarm but it was the only way to activate the remote start at the time, I will eventually remove the alarm and just go with a system like the ones mentioned above.

Old 12-10-2003, 04:29 PM
hhott71
Senior User
I used one from www.bought4less.com , it was about $35 , nice remotes (get 2 of those) and easy to install.

Old 12-11-2003, 04:26 PM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
Hey Tripndrag... I have the Ford Gold RS/Security System. It does have the pit stop feature. Its activated by pushing the remote start button.

Old 12-11-2003, 10:20 PM
tripndrag
Tuned
Nice to hear about the pit stop feature. I will be purchasing the Ford system for my Taurus then. I have emailed so many dealers, and people who sell the systems asking about features and nobody seems to know anything about them. Maybe you could tell me if it:

1. Does it have the tach feature if the car gets reved to high while remote started it will shut off.

2. If it doesn't start or dies right away will the remote start re-start it?

3. Can you lock and unlock the doors while it is running with the remote start.

4. Will it run all the accesories while it is remote started, heat/AC, window defrosters.

5. Does it turn the parking lights on or flash the parking lights while it is remote started?

6. Can you set the run time while remote started?

Thank you.

Old 12-12-2003, 04:07 PM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
Yes to all your questions! In regard to accessories, it is very intelligent; everything you would want can go on, but things you would want off (like the radio) do not go on until you insert the key. The run time is selectable, either 10 or 15 minutes.

It really is a very good system. Everything works through the new remotes as before and the old remotes still function as they did if you want to use them (of course, they cannot remote start or set the alarm).

Here's the bad news: it's a b**** to install, at least it was for me. I'm pretty good technically, but I don't do this for a living, so it probably took me like 16 hours to install. I guess the second one would be easier, and you sound like you have some experience.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:36 PM
tripndrag
Tuned
Thank you for the information. I am no expert either but I have done 3 installs in cars and trucks. In my pickup I didn't have anything when I started, I added locks, relays to run them and everything else in between. I put a switch on the passenger side door lock and added 2 way red green LED's in each door after removing the lock *****. When it is locked they are red and when unlocked they are green. This was all before remote keyless anything. It is still working today so I can't complain. The Ford kit has to be easier than that job!

Does the Ford kit plug into the harness in the vehicle at all or do you have to connect every wire? All of the kits I have done you had to wire everything into the vehicle harness and it seemed like you would never get them all connected. The system I am looking at only has remote start in addition to the remote locks that the car already has. My vehicle has the PATS system only which is the little unit in the ignition key that lets the vehicle start.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:45 PM
chillybone
New User
I read somewhere that all F150 trucks with power locks already are capable of using a keyless remote. I bought a 99 a few years ago and it didn't come with a remote. I found 2 on Ebay for less than $50.00, but my truck needed programmed to accept the remotes code. Not sure where I found out how to do it, but I think it was on a website like this.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:17 AM
jldeeney
New User
Originally posted by chillybone
I read somewhere that all F150 trucks with power locks already are capable of using a keyless remote. I bought a 99 a few years ago and it didn't come with a remote. I found 2 on Ebay for less than $50.00, but my truck needed programmed to accept the remotes code. Not sure where I found out how to do it, but I think it was on a website like this.
I'm in the middle of installing remote entry locks on my van. To do a tidy job, it takes quite a bit of work. The aftermarket kit was only $40. You will need to tap into the following wires:

-Lock
-Unlock
-+12 continuous
- +12 keyed
- running lights
- Horn

I pulled the switch pad in the door to find the lock wire colors, then tapped into them behind the kick panel. This took care of the first three wires. The last three will require tapping into wires in the steering column.

Old 02-28-2004, 10:00 AM
77redf250
Senior User
if you know what wires your looking for and where to find them these things are fairly easy to install. i don't care for the bulldog products but they do have a great website with diagrams for almost any vehicle out there. http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/
helped me out a few times.

Old 02-29-2004, 12:01 AM
jldeeney
New User
Originally posted by tripndrag

Most places have good directions with wire colors and locations in your vehicle so you can do it yourself. If you have all the wire colors and you buy the harnesses to go with your kit it is no harder than installing a simple stereo. mentioned above.
My guide to colors is a pin thru the wires & a test light. I would be eternally grateful if there's a person here with the color codes. I need the ones in the column for the horn and 12V switched. This is a 2003 E350. I invariably buy the factory manual, or Alldata, but haven't bothered with this one yet. Since I've still got 2+ years on the warranty, I hadn't considered getting manuals for projects like this. The directions in my kit make no mention of any specific model.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:57 AM
94F150-408
Posting Guru
You could always pick up your 12v switched on the wire going to your key in the ig/door open buzzer.It is usually fairly eay to get at.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:55 AM
jldeeney
New User
Originally posted by 94F150-408
You could always pick up your 12v switched on the wire going to your key in the ig/door open buzzer.It is usually fairly eay to get at.
Thanks. I also realized I should have a 12v switched coming to the door locks. I can tap into this under the kick panel where I tied into the door lock circuits. This leaves only the horn to find. Someone else suggested pulling the horn fuse & probing between the fuse socket & column wires until I find the right circuit.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:04 AM
jldeeney
New User
Originally posted by jldeeney
Thanks. I also realized I should have a 12v switched coming to the door locks. I can tap into this under the kick panel where I tied into the door lock circuits.
Oops, I meant to say 12v switched to the power windows. I'm already tied into the door locks.

Quick Reply: Adding keyless entry with power locks